Is this for real ?????

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Interesting that the top strap is missing. Most blowups that I have seen pictures of usually have a piece of the strap still in place. Might just be this time but no burn marks etc makes one wonder.
Lots of pictures here.

http://www.thegunzone.com/

I saw a similar blow up that was probable do to too light a load detonating. Light loads are know to occasionally detonate rather than burn. It's more common in rifles. The revolver I saw looked quite a bit like the one in the photo. I think there was more top strap left, but not much.

not sepose to use nitro as powder:thinking: or was it a 10gage shell in a revolvermmmm:nuts:

I saw similar happen to a Ruger Blackhawk ,45 long Colt. Guy loaded what he thought were light loads. He used Bullseye (I believe) and with a light load, it settles to the bottom of the case, presenting quite a bit of area to the primer flash, hence accelerating the burn much to fast. Couple that with a heavy bullet and you get severe overpressured cases, which can do just about that amount of damage.

No burn marks though....hmm.

With 3 shells going off there should be more damage I would think. I have seen a brand new revolver with one shell going off and a flaw in the metal and has more damage than that. The bullet sitting there intact seems odd too.
Paul

What happened here as the story goes is he fired one shot only and the other two, one before one after, went off a split second later. They were not hit by the hammer, they went off by themselves. Three rounds did this damage, not one.

"Billy G" :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

I suppose I can except that but then he must of cleaned up the gun, brass, etc. for the photograph as there are no powder residue/burns to be seen. About the only way that I can see this happening is the first shot burst the top chamber in such a way as to puncture the rounds on either side and setting them off. At least that seems to me to be the most reasonable explanation.

-Ron

Well I am going to have to take that off my Christmas list.

I've seen that before with revolvers. There are no burn marks because the powder wasn't contained. Nonetheless, it also depends on the powder. Some of the single base stuff (it seems) doesn't leave as much residue. I use 4831SC powder in many of my rifle loads, and the cases are very clean inside after they're fired.

That said, it could well be that the rounds were too hot and he just THOUGHT the other two went off when in reality they we're simply chewed up by the event.

John

Back