Is this for real ?????

Some powders are so hot that it's all to easy to double charge them if using powder thrower. That's one reason to not be doing anything like watching TV or shooting the breeze with buddies, or tossing back a few 807's while you're loading. This assumes of course, that this was a hand load.

Ken Oehler of Oehler did an experiment a few years ago with position of the powder within the case. Forward up by the bullet base, to the back against the primer hole, and settled along the length of the case. He report differences in velocity that were significant. Also there have been more than enough blowups reported that they are not flukes. Oehler came to the conclusion that light loads should be more than half full to avoid problems. He fortunately or unfortunately has not been able to reproduce a blowup at the time of writing his article. I cannot remember if it was in Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, or some other magazine/trade paper. Rifle or pistol it seems to happen to both, but handguns with large cases and small charges are the largest reported blowups out there.

I remember some article years ago that recommended a Kapok puff on top of the charge to keep it from laying out in a longer, large cartridge.

S&W 44 mag. Chinese imported ammo? Can this happen. It is said that 2 other rounds went off right after the first one discharged on their own. The pix do not look right to me. There are no burn marks on that exploded round. Also the man firing escaped with just a cut forehead.

"Billy G" :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

It Apears that the first shell blew up the gun, the other two shels did not explode they ( being brass) if you look at photo-- shreded from the first chamber blowing apart, If the other two shells went off that copper would not be sitting threre, you can also figure that powder load was very hot in shell causing this problem and if all three went off that guy would of been in worst shape as well as gun.:thinking: Thats my opioin and I'm sticking to it. :biggrin: That and I know nothing anyways:lmao: Just my thought and I would not buy China anything if I could help it.;)

Wow Chris, you dug up a moldy oldie!

There was definitely some shenanigans going on here. Guns just don't blow up on their own. I suspect a super hot round was the culprit and that in turn set off the adjoining rounds. They didn't launch their bullet because there was no longer a cylinder to contain them. No doubt I'll be thinking about these pictures next time I shoot my model 19.

Tom

Fire proofing would eliminate this from happening. Most European manufacturers adhere to this practice for centuries, Americans do not.

SIGP2101

the shell that went off in the pic is in line with the barrel
why is the bullet still there?
I think it's fake
steve

i was looking at it wrong i guess the bullet could still be there

Yes indeed that could be very real. Without knowing the dia of the bullet, ie a .44Mag should have a jacketed bullet with a dia of .429. Without knowing if the person whom fired the pistol, it this was the first time for trying this ammo or if he had done so before, if there was a change in a lot to lot situation. Detonation indeed could have caused this, a bullet of larger dia than should be could have caused it. Also, if the dia of bullet was bigger than should be would give warrant to the bullet possibly being stuck in that one cylinder. Also, I am curious if the first bullet is stuck in the barrel. As for the other rounds having gone off or discharged, it could have been due to the fact that the primers had a soft cup, which if so, when the case was slammed rearward and struck face behind it, esp if the primers were seated a higher than they should be, could cause a slamfire of the round. Hence the detonation of the other rounds. Not saying that this is what might have happened, but it does give one to wonder that this might have been the cause. Without knowing some other details, it is hard to speculate further.

Doc

Not only have I seen a couple, I have studied this, as much as can be done outside of a laboratory. I sincerely doubt that this is fake. There is a double handful of "mistakes" that can cause this, wrong powder, wrong primer, overload, under load, sometimes the phase of the moon, of course one of my favorites, brother in law. I see it most often in rifles. From barrels split completely from the muzzle to the receiver, to barrels ejected completely off of the rifle. First, and anyone who has shot or reloaded has heard this before, DO NOT shoot someone elses reloads. I know your brother in law is directly descended from Daniel Boone, Jeff Cooper and Elmer Keith. He's still an idiot. Second, when shooting prairie dogs in Wyoming in July do not leave your ammo on the hood of the truck. Hot ammo can raise pressures dramatically. Third, if something sounds funny, look down the barrel, yes unload the gun first. Two weeks ago I had in the shop a .22 rimfire that split the barrel extension and the receiver, ammo problem. It happens, rarely. Our firearms are safe, normally there's a loose nut behind the trigger.

Back