Is this rattling normal? Logan 210

VicHobbyGuy

Registered
Registered
My Logan 210 rattles in direct drive (back gears not engaged).

It's louder in real life than in this short video:

Is this normal? I've only had the lathe for a couple of weeks and haven't used it much.
Thanks.

Mine is an 820, but a similar setup. I do not have that noise.

Have you been able to narrow down where the noise is coming from?

Is it the cover? You should have some rubber plugs that avoid noise due to vibration from the cover.

Are the holders on the back pulley shaft secured? Each one has two bolts holding it in place. Make sure there is no play.

Would be good if you can try to narrow down where the noise is coming from. I have some noise in mine that is coming from the motor assembly, I think it is the outlet metal box a previous owner used to do the wiring. Looks like that is touching against the frame... but that is it, the rest sounds fine to this newbie... Others with more experience are sure to chime in...

In the video I point out the rubber plugs (some have it on the headstock area, some on the lid...

Also point to the assembly in the cone countershaft pulley, the shaft holders (sorry, do not know what those are called) but the bolts need to be snug against them.

You also see me pointing to the direct drive lock pin. Are you positive that the direct drive lock pin is turned all the way? If not, it will make a similar noise to what you are hearing. I tried that in mine to see if I could replicate it... so make sure it is turned all the way.

I have a Logan 210. Hopefully I can help before I sell it. It has been is storage since 2016. Runs fantastic If I remember well.

Take off the chuck and try it- sometimes the chuck pinions or jaws can rattle around. Next, how does the spindle feel when you spin it by hand with the belt loose? Can you see visible movement of the large cone pulley with respect to the spindle itself? Wiggle it and look close
Check that the change gear side of the headstock (left side where all the gear-ish goodies are) doesn't have something loose there
Maybe the spindle preload is not set properly and you have a loose bearing?
The bearing preload is set by a threaded ring on the left side of the spindle
It's also possible that the bearings on the large cone pulley are very worn- they are often made of bronze and if worn will let the pulley slap around on the spindle when it turns
-Mark

Last edited:
Thanks for those suggestions. I appreciate them all.
The noise is not coming from the cover - no rattles there.
The chuck is silent- noise is present with work held tightly in the chuck.
The motor and countershaft assembly are vibration-free and seem solid.
The sheaves on the spindle seem to be fairly snug on the spindle - not slapping around. I don't think the lathe was used very much in back gear; the previous owner used it for wood turning for years.
When the drive pin is pushed in -engaging direct drive- the bull gear and the sheaves can move a bit relative to each other- perhaps about 'half a tooth' play.

Maybe the peg leg isn’t sitting right ? Maybe the rubber bushings are wore out for the motor mount?
Hard to tell
Martin

Back