Is this rattling normal? Logan 210

Would be good if you can try to narrow down where the noise is coming from.
Just now, I jammed a thin wood wedge between the bull gear and the pulley/sheave piece and the noise disappeared. So the looseness there-the pin and hole allow some play- must be the cause of the rattling.
Not a long-term solution, for sure...and I'll have to remember to get that wedge out of there before engaging the back gears!
mini-IMG_1039.JPG

I have some as well... let me share a video... but still, it is much, much quieter when running than the video you showed...
Thanks for that. Your bull gear and sheaves have less play than mine- moving relative to each other. I can move my pulleys about "half a tooth' relative to the bull gear. However, you also seem to have some "left-right" play with the bull gear moving on the spindle, or the spindle moving in the bearings (?) - my machine doesn't have that.

...However, you also seem to have some "left-right" play with the bull gear moving on the spindle, or the spindle moving in the bearings (?) - my machine doesn't have that.

Great! Now I am not going to sleep well... :D

Great! Now I am not going to sleep well... :D
Actually, I wasn't correct in saying that - my machine has a bit of L-R play, but it seems like less than yours. If the setscrew for the bull gear on the spindle is tight, I wouldn't worry! Sleep well! :)

Must be an extreme amount of wear on that pin and/or the hole- of course it does transmit all the force from pulley to spindle

Must be an extreme amount of wear on that pin and/or the hole- of course it does transmit all the force from pulley to spindle
I don't think the wear or 'play' necessarily reflects high forces - perhaps just 80 years of rattling back and forth - millions of times?

At the Logan group at groups.io Scott Logan mentioned that some of the Logan models had a fiber washer between the bull gear and the pulley, so perhaps that was an attempt to address the rattling problem.

Back