Is this too much grinder?

MikeInOr

Registered
Registered
There is an action in Portland Oregon with several of these tool grinders in it.
b1644585-659a-4c79-9f1c-ae4a012e4a93.jpg

They will most likely go for a hefty sum but if one goes for a decent price is this too much of a tool grinder for a home shop? I have never done any tool grinding.

The only grinders I have ever worked with are the little bench top universal grinders to sharpen drill bits. I am tempted to bid but I think it would be a waste in my hobby shop. I kind of think I would probably never learn how to use a grinder like that properly. I am not really looking to switch professions to a professional tool and cutter grinder operator.

That looks like a truly "universal" T&C grinder! Bid a grand for it. If you get it, I bet you can sell it to @Aukai.

Seriously, from my perspective I would only buy it to re-sell. There are just too many machines that would be more useful for the $ and square footage required. But then, I'm the guy who dropped during the final semester of machine shop class to avoid T&C grinding.

Wish I was there! I'd like one of the Baldor grinders & that drill press. Both likely to go for more than I would like to cheap out for. $5K for the DP would be a bargain.

Wish I was there! I'd like one of the Baldor grinders & that drill press. Both likely to go for more than I would like to cheap out for. $5K for the DP would be a bargain.
I am planning on bidding on a lot of the tooling. I usually have much better luck in auctions on the smaller stuff. Often times the machinery seems to get ridiculous prices. The last online auction (same auction company) I scored about a half ton of stainless round bar stock and a lot of little stuff for dirt cheap while the machinery went very high in my hobby budget terms. I have actually used some of the 20 lifting cable slings that came with the big pulley I paid a $1 for. LOL!

That drill press was the CraigsList picture that caught my attention. It is BEAUTIFUL, isn't it! I WILL be bidding on one the Baldor grinders but I really doubt they will go for a price I can live with.

Last edited:
It's sad to see New Tech go down. Back in the day I spent many of thousands of $$$ there having my tooling ground or custom tooling made up. Gary was the owner as I recall. About a year or so ago I went there and had some custom threading inserts made up. The place was a shadow of it former self.

Back