ISP grief

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can't send email, but can receive it. This is on both my Pixel 4a(5g)(Android) phone (BlueMail), and on my linux laptop (Thunderbird). Webmail access works fine (both sending and receiving). ISP is blowing me off. My wife's phone can't send about 90% of the time. In both cases there's some sort of authentication error.

Both email clients are up to date. Been frustrating. My wife has been having this error sporadically. I am now getting 100% fail to send.
Have tried both hand typing in the password and cutting and pasting. This used to work, umm, 3 weeks ago.

Maybe there will be a software update, but I'm not holding my breath. Frustrating, however.

I switched over to using webmail for all my accounts more than a decade ago. Mail clients (unless corporate managed) are just too fiddly and unreliable for my taste.

All my email addresses forward to one or both of my primary webmail accounts (Yahoo and Gmail), this allows me to access everything from whatever device I happen to be using at the time without worrying about loosing messages if a hard drive or something else fails.

But, I'm a guy who has managed MS Exchange server, Sendmail Server, Lotus Notes, Blackberry Enterprise Server, and probably a few more I don't remember.

It's unlikely your ISP has anyone on staff that can actually troubleshoot your problem. It may clear itself up in time, or not, but my approach can save a whole lot of heartburn over maintaining individual email clients.

Cheers,

John

You have CenturyLInk too!?

GsT
No. I recently switched to Fidium. I get good upload and download speeds. But my email is aliased to fairpoint, whose territory was bought by consolidated. Somewhere in the mix there's invalid security certificates which my clients are rejecting. After a while the technician just hung up on me. It's odd to me that both Blue mail, the default client on Pixel phones, and Thunderbird both stopped working. Still thinking it's on their end.

I switched over to using webmail for all my accounts more than a decade ago. Mail clients (unless corporate managed) are just too fiddly and unreliable for my taste.

All my email addresses forward to one or both of my primary webmail accounts (Yahoo and Gmail), this allows me to access everything from whatever device I happen to be using at the time without worrying about loosing messages if a hard drive or something else fails.

But, I'm a guy who has managed MS Exchange server, Sendmail Server, Lotus Notes, Blackberry Enterprise Server, and probably a few more I don't remember.

It's unlikely your ISP has anyone on staff that can actually troubleshoot your problem. It may clear itself up in time, or not, but my approach can save a whole lot of heartburn over maintaining individual email clients.

Cheers,

John
I can deal with it (somewhat) on my laptop, but webmail on a phone just stinks. I've been using Thunderbird for ages now and rarely have had any issues.

As for the ISP having knowledgeable staff that can troubleshoot and fix things, well it doesn't look like that guy was talking to me. It was not a satisfying experience on my end.

I can deal with it (somewhat) on my laptop, but webmail on a phone just stinks. I've been using Thunderbird for ages now and rarely have had any issues.

As for the ISP having knowledgeable staff that can troubleshoot and fix things, well it doesn't look like that guy was talking to me. It was not a satisfying experience on my end.
Never had any problems using webmail on the phone. Unless you don’t want to use their app, it’s a personal preference I guess.

I ran Thunderbird for a long time, installed the first Mozilla web browser in ‘95. It just takes more setup and maintenance than I feel is needed for the utility.

John

I use Thunderbird as well and have had occasion to think that at times it's doing something that strangles my internet for brief periods. Which is to say that even my browser can't get anything, or it's very, very slow. Firefox, Kubuntu Gnu/Linux, YMMV.

GsT

I use Thunderbird as well and have had occasion to think that at times it's doing something that strangles my internet for brief periods. Which is to say that even my browser can't get anything, or it's very, very slow. Firefox, Kubuntu Gnu/Linux, YMMV.

GsT
I can see this happening on one client, but both on BlueMail and Thunderbird on Android and Ubuntu, that is one heck of a coincidence. It's possible I guess but not likely? And my wife has the same problem on her phone? Weirder things have happened.

I can't remember any significant issues that I had on Thunderbird, it always seemed to work for me. Basically never had to change my email settings for over 20 years.

Sounds like a security certificate or associated info has changed on the outgoing mail port (incoming at the ISP’s end), but not the incoming imap port. I’ve had to delete and re-enter that info on occasion to get thunderbird or cellphone to give me a new opportunity to ignore the security exception. Can happen when an ISP changes the dns info or ip addr for that. They should provide some warning and help but that type of useful service is hard to find.

Back