ISP grief

I also use, and recommend to all my clients, webmail. If you have internet you have webmail. Client mail just has too many settings subject to changes by the ISP and anyone in between.

My only suggestion to the OP is to delete the accounts and recreate them. I agree that it sounds like it's on the ISP's end, but trying to convince them is another rodeo.

Sounds like a security certificate or associated info has changed on the outgoing mail port (incoming at the ISP’s end), but not the incoming imap port. I’ve had to delete and re-enter that info on occasion to get thunderbird or cellphone to give me a new opportunity to ignore the security exception. Can happen when an ISP changes the dns info or ip addr for that. They should provide some warning and help but that type of useful service is hard to find.
Yep, DNS is a bear.

I can see this happening on one client, but both on BlueMail and Thunderbird on Android and Ubuntu, that is one heck of a coincidence. It's possible I guess but not likely? And my wife has the same problem on her phone? Weirder things have happened.

I can't remember any significant issues that I had on Thunderbird, it always seemed to work for me. Basically never had to change my email settings for over 20 years.
My bad - I completely glossed over that this was occurring on your phone and that of your wife. My occasional issue affects only a single machine.

GsT

Are you trying all attempts from your home wifi? If so does it work if you switch to your mobile data instead of the wifi?

My ISP rolled out a "feature" where too many unsuccessful smtp authentication failures resulted in them black listing the IP address they were coming from. As I had an IOT device on my network still using an out of date email account it kept on triggering this feature. They would unblock my IP only to find it blocked again the next day. This resulted in every device connecting from my home being blocked (unless I switched to mobile data).

I had to enable firewall logging on the smtp port on my router to eventually find the culprit. Needless to say apart from pointing out to me how to unblock the IP my ISP was fast from usef.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Are you trying all attempts from your home wifi? If so does it work if you switch to your mobile data instead of the wifi?

My ISP rolled out a "feature" where too many unsuccessful smtp authentication failures resulted in them black listing the IP address they were coming from. As I had an IOT device on my network still using an out of date email account it kept on triggering this feature. They would unblock my IP only to find it blocked again the next day. This resulted in every device connecting from my home being blocked (unless I switched to mobile data).

I had to enable firewall logging on the smtp port on my router to eventually find the culprit. Needless to say apart from pointing out to me how to unblock the IP my ISP was fast from usef.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out. I have a couple RPI's on the network, I'll check to see if they or anything else is talking too much. Stupid smart switches are always checking home, at least that's what my Pihole is telling me. Why they need to phone home once every 5 seconds is beyond me.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out. I have a couple RPI's on the network, I'll check to see if they or anything else is talking too much. Stupid smart switches are always checking home, at least that's what my Pihole is telling me. Why they need to phone home once every 5 seconds is beyond me.

That's probably just how they work. It's easier for them because they can code for a known server name/port/etc and always just hit that. They don't need to deal with user configured servers and such. Not that they couldn't work directly with mDNS or something, but whatever. The down side is that they would be non functional without a live internet connection.

As for the email, they probably have one or two people in the whole organization that could diagnose and fix it. ISPs tend to be heavy on the script based tech support. And it's very possible that they tried it and it worked for them, because they ignored the certificate issue. You probably just need to resetup the email client to get the option to ignore it. Highly unprofessional to use an outdated or self-signed cert for customer facing services, IMO.

Not saying thar your problem is the same as mine, it is quite likely that it is a certificate issue as others have mentioned. I just wanted to highlight this possibility as it can and does happen. Easy to check though, just switch to another network (or different IP) and see if it works.

I use Thunderbird, and yesterday I had to re-authenticate with google. Google said it did not recognize me, that it was a new device, and new APP. It wasn't a new app, so it was weird. I'm good now though.

For those of you that use webmail, is there an app on the phone for that, or just the browser? There's a whole lot of folks complaining about the app with ads being pushed to you for every email you read... At least on Android. Doesn't seem like something I want. I want this to be easy, not a PIA to read my email. What app on Android?

For those of you that use webmail, is there an app on the phone for that, or just the browser? There's a whole lot of folks complaining about the app with ads being pushed to you for every email you read... At least on Android. Doesn't seem like something I want. I want this to be easy, not a PIA to read my email. What app on Android?

Half the Android apps anymore seem to be a link to the website that just has an icon on the screen. I usually use the gmail app these days, but I had good luck with the K9 email app a few years back.

Back