It is the best of times, it is the worst of times...

oh yeah that looks so much better than the bare spot on the floor... !! no chips yet ????

She is. I'm sore all over from 3+ hours wrestling the beast into her home. I'll do a bunch more pics tomorrow, but highlights include: 3 hp motor, pull out chip tray, cast iron base and turning to (many) inch threads without any change gears. So far it is more than I expected!
I thought it looked like a chip tray. Congrats!

She's looking good. Just like it belongs there. :)

That lathe only has 8 speeds correct? Is that sufficient, or will you eventually go to a two-speed motor or VFD?
I am not an experienced enough machinist to say with any certainty if 8 is enough. Matt said basically the difference between this lathe and the 1440B which has 16 speeds is the b has 2 pulley sizes. I think I would be more apt to do something like that to get 35 rpm on the bottom end. I mainly machine steel with HSS cutters so right now I think this setup will work well.

No chips yet, but it is cleaned and powers up fine. Need to level her out next, then start whittleing down some steel.

I made a new post to put all the uncrating, setup and overview info to make future searches easier for those interested. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Mathews-PM1440E-LB-lathe?p=232852#post232852

Nice. Congrats on getting her all set up. Looks great next to your other machines. They should compliment each other well.

Back