Jay Leno article on machinists

Great article. I often banter with friends who are attorneys & financial guys about that. I tell them: "After the apocalypse, there will be no need for you guys. My skills will be in demand as I build Mad Max cars & weapons." :jester:

Leno has been a staunch supporter of machinists for as long as I can remember. At one time he had a deal worked out with several colleges to help young machinists get started and save some of the costs of their tuition. Don't know if he still does that, but he has been supportive of our skill and trade for a long time.

Bob

Thanks for sharing the article. I am not a big fan of Jay Leno, but I have to say I agree with everything he wrote in his article. As a construction professional I have had to deal with the stigma that I am just a construction guy who gets dirty for a living and is not smart. Well they are right on one assumption, I get dirty for a living. I have two college degrees in unrelated fields and earned them without taking a loan by working full time. I have been standing dusty and dirty in a bank holding $300K in deposits and had people wrinkle their nose and make a face at me when they had a couple hundred buck total in their account. I just chuckled to myself as I got into my paid for truck that was worth as much as their house...

He is so right! A few friends are in the nuclear power industry and they say that today North America can not build a new reactor as all the special skills and machines are in Asia. I needed a few 1/2" SS pipe fittings to fix a degreaser and they have to be imported from China!
Crazy
Pierre

I read somewhere that he has a machine shop in his garage. To repair parts on his own cars. thomas s

When I was a kid I always wanted a job that required working with my hands, and at that time, this meant being a tool and die maker. I should also comment that there wasn't a lot of vocational counseling back then and I had no idea of all the possible professions that were available. In any case, my parents convinced me that there was no money to be made in that kind of work, ditto fire and police like I was also interested in, so I ended up doing computer work like my Dad. Later on, it just seemed like it was too late to change (though it wasn't). I made good money, but sitting behind a desk just doesn't do it for me.

At least now I get to scratch that itch as a hobby, but I look at articles like this or see a video of some artisan, and man do I wish I could go back and change everything.

When I was a kid I always wanted a job that required working with my hands, and at that time, this meant being a tool and die maker. I should also comment that there wasn't a lot of vocational counseling back then and I had no idea of all the possible professions that were available. In any case, my parents convinced me that there was no money to be made in that kind of work, ditto fire and police like I was also interested in, so I ended up doing computer work like my Dad. Later on, it just seemed like it was too late to change (though it wasn't). I made good money, but sitting behind a desk just doesn't do it for me.

At least now I get to scratch that itch as a hobby, but I look at articles like this or see a video of some artisan, and man do I wish I could go back and change everything.

Tell you Mom and Dad that there is a lot of money and machining metal. I built a 3 million dollar hous for a gentleman that specialized in machining titanium for aerospace industry. He showed me a 24" block of titanium that he was going to machine a part out of and just the material was hundreds of thousands of dollars. He said that 2/3 of the material would be machined away.

I am a fan of Mr. Leno and what he said is right on no one builds anything anymore. Thats why you see all the Radio Shacks closing it is not the internet that killed them it was a lack of anyone fixing or building anything anymore. This is a throw away country with a bunch of consumers and no builders and that will cause or is causing our economy to fail,, good article something for you guys to be proud of.. Ray

Back