Jet 1236PS missing parts. Need some suggestions!

another approach might be to use a product like turcite on the cross slide face and a slightly thinner backer attached.
turcite can be scraped and is a low friction alternative to iron to steel contact.
bronze may also be entertained as a thought as well, but it will wear faster that the turcite

iron to steel can cause havoc and produce unnecessary wear if great care isn't taken in the selection of suitable materials.

Turcite looks like it would do the trick, I'll look into it a little closer tomorrow. Do you know where I can buy it?

Thanks,
Kyle

How much travel does that Gib strip have (Piece #513)? The front of the Gib is flush with the face of the cross slide; I suspect you can screw it much deeper with the adjustment screw (Piece #511). Not going to be nearly enough to take up that gap (1/4" taper per foot of travel).

Put a caliper in that gap, and let us know how much space is there. Looks like at least 0.100".

The usual solution is to put some shims between the gib and the outer wall of the slot on the cross slide. Probably the recommended approach.

Alternatively you can cut a new gib strip, although the gib should be made out of cast iron not steel. Replacement gib stock is usually oversize and over length, and needs to be trimmed/milled/scraped to fit your machine. Someone who bought a new gib strip for his G0704 said he got untrimmed stock from them which had to to be trimmed to the correct length and fit. That would probably be ideal for your circumstances (especially since the cutting the taper is the challenging part of the equation).
Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 9.02.46 AM.png

Here is a detailed discussion of making a new gib strip from stock gray iron:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-a-new-parallelogram-tapered-gib-for-my-PM-45

To solve the slot depth problem, the easiest solution would be to take your saddle to a machine shop where they could grind 0.100" (or however much that gap is) off the top surface of the saddle dovetail.

WRT the Turcite solution: it is not as easy as it sounds. First you have to prep the surface (cleaned, degreased, and sand blasted), than the Turcite strip has to be glued to the surface, than it has to be machined or ground to the final surface dimension. Here is a company that sells the materials, and a description of the application:

http://mtsandtg.com/turcite-application

f you go the Turcite route, it should be applied to the underside of the cross slide (not the saddle surface). That makes things a bit more manageable, as the saddle would be easier to fit on a surface grinder or mill table for finishing after you apply the Turcite.

Screen Shot 2014-11-30 at 9.02.46 AM.png

Last edited:
I have tried adjusting the gib. When it's tight, I have about 2" sticking out the back, so that doesn't work. There's nothing for the adjustment screws hold onto.

I think I'll try Turcite depending on how expensive it is. With a few sets of feeler gauges I shimmed the bottom .094" (Closest Turcite size) and with the Gib flush I have about .062". I could add 1/32" Turcite to each side of the Gib and 3/32" to the bottom of the cross slide, then scrape to fit.

It looks like I have to request a quote from a distributor, so we'll see how much it is. It's cold in the garage now, so cleaning/gluing/scraping/etc would be a good project to work on in the warm basement. :thumbzup:

Thanks for the help guys,
Kyle

Hi Guys,

I've been emailing back and forth with AR1911, he's been checking measurements on his G9249 for me and he's asked if I can post the measurements on here for future reference, so here they are:

Center hole - .982"
Center-to-Center captive nuts - 3.464"
Ring OD - 2.985"
Rind ID - 4.075"
Dovetail width male - 2.439"
Dovetail height inside cross slide - .542"
Cross slide thickness - 1.430"
Cross slide width - 4.50"

I've asked AR1911 if he can check the OD and TPI of his cross slide lead screw since I still need that. If his is the same, then I can order that from Grizzly. The compound rest should fit just fine on this cross slide, so I'll order that soon.

I also ordered the Turcite last week and I trimmed it and did a quick test fit. With the gib flush, it's nice and tight, so with some scraping it'll fit nicely. (Note, the shims on the dovetail are only small pieces, the whole surface will be covered.)

6pLl7T3.jpg

Thanks for the help,
Kyle

6pLl7T3.jpg

6pLl7T3.jpg

6pLl7T3.jpg

Hi Guys,

I hope that you all had a Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

The lathe is coming together pretty nicely. Everything is together and working now, just a few small things to take care of. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Parts came in came in from Grizzly, complete compound rest assembly, cross slide feed nut and carriage lock. I wasn't too happy with the quality of the compound, it had lots of rough edges and it had a black gritty oil on everything. I ended up taking the whole thing apart, cleaned everything and smoothed out the rough edges. It feels pretty good now.
NddWfwl.jpg

Test fit the compound. It fits perfectly and the center height is right where it should be.
1fAQVnZ.jpg

The captive nuts were $5 each from Grizzly, so I decided to make them myself. It's hard to get a nice surface finish on the old Champion blower and forge lathe, but they work fine.
nbIZyu0.jpg
c7nNM0O.jpg

The screw hole to mount the feed nut to the cross slide was larger than the screw used by the G9249, so instead of drilling and taping the feed nut, I decided to make a sleeve so that the smaller screw would fit.
qiRRNNh.jpg
8JAAZu4.jpg
KmtZZkt.jpg

I epoxied the Turcite to the cross slide, I haven't done any scraping yet since I don't have a surface plate yet, but as is, it fits and slides very nicely. One thing that I missed though, I didn't put any Turcite on the bottom of the gib, without it, it wants to fall down when I loosen the adjustment screws. It's okay for now, I just need to pry up on it slightly before tightening down the screws. I do have some pieces left that I will epoxy on soon and then it will not be an issue. I also need to make a new gib screw, the person that I purchased the cross slide from must has broken or lost one and they replaced it with a hex bolt and a plumbing fitting.
QVMRJdn.jpg

All together! Everything works as it should and is nice and tight.
9h6TnV9.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!
Kyle

NddWfwl.jpg

1fAQVnZ.jpg

nbIZyu0.jpg

c7nNM0O.jpg

qiRRNNh.jpg

8JAAZu4.jpg

KmtZZkt.jpg

QVMRJdn.jpg

9h6TnV9.jpg

NddWfwl.jpg

1fAQVnZ.jpg

nbIZyu0.jpg

c7nNM0O.jpg

qiRRNNh.jpg

8JAAZu4.jpg

KmtZZkt.jpg

QVMRJdn.jpg

9h6TnV9.jpg

Hi Kyle, I'm a bit late, seeing I only joined last evening. However, I'm in the Bloomsburg Danville area, if there was something you needed a close up look or measurements. I too have a 1236PS as why I joined after finding this great site. I will start another thread on my Jet here soon. Thanks for posting the work you've done on yours.

Thanks Steve, everything is together and running well now! I picked up a 6" 3-jaw and 8" 4-jaw, about the only thing that's missing is the steady rest.

Omg, I know this is old but can anyone tell if he ended up using the slide he ordered for the 1003 or if that was a complete assembly from a 9249? Ive been trying to get a replacement for a jet 1024 that is the same as this lathe and was about to order a 9249 compound assembly when I found this.

Back