Just curious about tapered drills

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I know such a thing esists, or at least existed at one time. I have one, but too large to be of use to me. (>1 inch) I had always thought of it as being a boiler maker tool since I have never seen another one. I would like to find some smaller ones, although I may not be able to pay for them. But finding them is the first step. Specificly, if one is drilling a starter hole for a pipe tap or an MT-2 or 3, the accepted procedure is to drill for the small end first, then drilling to a reduced depth for the larger end. There must be, for production operations, a tapered drill for those two tapers and perhaps others.

I did find smaller sizes for wood working. Specificly, for wood screws of 3/16" and smaller. Wood screws do have a radical taper. But larger sizes seem to not exist any more, especially for metal. The largest size I found anywhere was for a 3/16" (Nr 10) screw. I have in mind to build a manifold for a compressed air line. I have built them in the past using the shop accepted norm of drilling twice. They don't have to be reamed, just a hole drilled large enough to start the tap.

While studying on the project, it occured to me that Morse tapers have to be started the same way but with more steps. And reamed after that, first a roughing and then a finish reamer. Reaming a straight hole is possible, but a lot of material must be removed. Meaning many rotations of the roughing reamer to get that tapered hole. Personally, I don't foresee any need (at this time) for making a MT-2 taper from scratch. But if I should, there must be a way simpler than drilling repeatedly.

I don't recall the specific size drills I am looking for, just the finished sizes of the tapered holes. From 1/16 pipe for model building to 3/4 pipe, the largest IPT tap I use. Plumbing stuff. . . I have larger sizes for doing rigid conduit, up to 1-1/2 pipe, but haven't worked rigid for years. And see no need to in todays electrical economy with pre-tapped cast boxes. And MT-2 and 3, the largest tapered holes on my machine tools. I don't have, any more, MT-0 or MT-1 machines. But if I could afford such drills, having those sizes would ease my mind.

Are there any others out there that have the same curiosity or need?

I think I have tapered drills , pipe tap reamers and MT reamers in the basement Bill as well as the taper pin reamers . As far as I know , they still make them all .

I think I have some pipe tap reamers and pipe tap taper gages. Haven’t used them in years.

I think I have tapered drills , pipe tap reamers and MT reamers in the basement Bill as well as the taper pin reamers . As far as I know , they still make them all .
My first question would be "Who is they?"

As far as MT reamers, I have them on hand in the smaller sizes I use, MT-0-3. For pipe size reamers, reamers aren't really required in most cases. Brass, aluminium, and other valve "castings" have the tapered holes cast in. This was so at Stockham Valve (local foundry) and probably so at other foundries. When I worked at US Pipe, the smallest pipe size we cast there was 6 inch. When we cast flange connected pipe, the second flange came from a different foundry. Though threaded, the flanges were done by the machine shop.

Stainless and other "exotics" that are machined from blanks may be been reamed. But I have reamers, I am searching for the drills that are tapered to the same size as the reamers. I also have taper pin reamers, at least in the smaller sizes I use. Taper pin reamers also fall into that small catagory where not much metal is removed. The largest pin reamer I have is around 3/8 inch diameter at the big end.

Last edited:
Amazon has them.
Sorry, they do not. I just now checked their listings. They do have tapered drills for wood in several screw pilot sizes. All at 5/16 and smaller. But nothing for metal working in the larger sizes.

We looked too...nothing.

All charts call for a standard bit.

We made a manifold from some sort of nickel steel from the scrap yard that required 1/8 NPT x 4 and 1/4 NPT x 4, what a bugger.

One could drill some steps but the tap will self cut as needed unless the material is too tough.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

A tapered drill would need to cut along the entire length of the flutes (by design, drills only cut on the end - the little lands are 0° rake). That would be a lot of umph to drive it. That is why reaming for a MT is challenging.

Is there any reason why just the smallest diameter could be drilled? It would take a while but for a 1 off it would work. The taper reamers can cut the full thickness of the job when finished so could cut progressively longer as the depth increased.
I can't think of a job that is not round that needs a morse taper, can anyone give an example.

My in my recent messing around with tapered pins, I did find assorted sizes of tapered pin combo drill and reamer from MSC. So at least for the standard tapper pin taper you can get drills for assorted sized pins. And then drill and ream in one step. Even so, I used the drill to get the hole correct and then used a light pass with an actual reamer to finish.

Sounds like you are looking for something other than tapered pin drills, but I can confirm that the drills do exist in this case.

Back