Just curious about tapered drills

I have seen drills that have a step in them. By step, I mean that they will drill a certain diameter with the tip part of the drill (just like a standard bit) because the flutes have been ground to a smaller diameter, but further up the bit there is another cutting edge made when the main flutes have been ground to the design diameter of the drill.

I'm not sure if these drills were intended to drill a stepped hole, or if the smaller tip was intended to pilot the drill through an already-existing hole.

I have seen drills that have a step in them. By step, I mean that they will drill a certain diameter with the tip part of the drill (just like a standard bit) because the flutes have been ground to a smaller diameter, but further up the bit there is another cutting edge made when the main flutes have been ground to the design diameter of the drill.

I'm not sure if these drills were intended to drill a stepped hole, or if the smaller tip was intended to pilot the drill through an already-existing hole.
There is a company in Downey Ca called step drills unlimited that makes any size step drill you need.

they are dreamers.

Back