Just ordered a PM1228 need a few compound slide measurements

Here's the measurements I took after morning coffee (I should be awake), just a hobby guy with some measuring tools:

From PWT website
#1- How many millimeters are there from the surface of the top slide to the center of the chuck = 27 mm
#2- The width of the top slide = 75.12 mm
https://pewetools.de/wp-content/uploads/systemsize.pdf

Cross-slide thread pitch 10 TPI
Depth of Cross-slide thread well 25 mm
2 HP = 1.4914 KW

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
This does not sound right to me. The tool post mounts on the top surface of the compound, right (not the cross slide)? The distance on my PM1340GT from top of compound to CL of the spindle is 44.0mm. From the top of the cross slide, it's 88mm.

IMG_4457.jpeg

I know you're talking about a PWT tool post, but as a point of comparison, a Dorian CXA tool holder requires the compound-to-spindleCL height to be within the range of 37-68mm. That would imply that his 1228 would need a DXA-sized QCTP, which does not make any sense to me. Here's the to-scale drawing of the CXA with tool holder min/max heights from top of cross slide to spindle CL:

screenshot_4613.jpg

OK.
I remeasured as you did.
20210108_093015_remeasured.jpg

#1- How many millimeters are there from the surface of the top slide to the center of the chuck = 27 mm

Here's Shar's AXA tool post info:
202-9470sketch.jpg
my AXA tool
20210108_095655_resized.jpg

#2- The width of the top slide = 75.12 mm

Last edited:
That makes more sense. It implies that the 1228 would ideally be fitted with an Aloris AXA QCTP. The BXA is just on the margin, and the tools would need to be to be positioned at the very extreme bottom end of the height adjustment range with 1/2" shank tools.

Thanks.

PWE tools look nice.
Set-AS-Hauptbild-alles.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you davidp and SRay53 I greatly appreciate both of y’all’s help and input. Hope to return the favor someday. Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks.

PWE tools look nice.
Set-AS-Hauptbild-alles.jpg
I saw a YouTube video with abom79 and he was talking about it and making a bolt for it. I have a Chinese axa on a 10” Logan at work and it’s far better than a 4 way but I get annoyed with the hold down handle and the height adjustment wheel. Real loose and doesn’t stay adjusted well. Plus since I spent all this money on my first lathe I figured what the hell. I’ll give this one a try. I am intrigued with way it can easily index. Hope it works out.

"I get annoyed with the hold down handle and the height adjustment wheel. Real loose and doesn’t stay adjusted well."
Those are some of the reasons I have been pondering an upgrade to an Aloris or Dorian at some point and agree with davidbpest - tooling has some hidden $urprises.
If you end up with one on your PM-1228 I'd be interested in your review.

"I get annoyed with the hold down handle and the height adjustment wheel. Real loose and doesn’t stay adjusted well."
Those are some of the reasons I have been pondering an upgrade to an Aloris or Dorian at some point and agree with davidbpest - tooling has some hidden $urprises.
If you end up with one on your PM-1228 I'd be interested in your review.
You betcha. After going over there chart with the measurements you got me it’s looking like the AS2070 set. Surprised me because it allows for up to a 20mm tool in the holder which I do not plan to use that large of a tool. But that’s what the chart says. I purchased the axa master cutting/turning set from PM in 1/2” but I don’t really see an issue as I’m going to email them and find out if I’m looking at the correct size which I believe I am and when it will be in stock.
My lathe isn’t supposed to arrive in the U.S. until sometime in May they said but it’s cool as I’m designing and building a stand for it and I’ve been waiting years to get a lathe. Plus I gotta make room for it in my little garage.
Yep I’ll be sure and post a review when/if I do get it. Burton’s attic on YouTube got a different brand Createtool I think looks very similar. Believe it’s cheaper too. So if they never become available again I may go that route.

I have used two no-name import BXA clones, the Aloris BXA and have the Dorian BXA on my PM1340. This is one area where the original brand-name units are absolutely head and shoulders better than the clones from China. The Multifix and PWE are indeed very nice. I've worked with both on lathes owned by other people. The principal advantage of that design is if you have a solid tool post that replaces the compound - the Multifix on a solid tool post gives a lot of the lead angle adjustment flexibility. But if you don't have a solid tool post, I don't see much advantage to the PWE. I also have over 30 indexable tools in QC tool holders and can't imagine tooling up to that extent with the expensive PWE tool holders. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you will be delighted with the PWE - I mean, after all, Stefan Gotteswinter is now using one on his solid tool post. :)

Back