Just picked up a BP

Thanks for the pics. They really help. Do you happen to have one from the other side of the Z axis scale? I'm curious to see how you hooked it to the quill.

It will be later this week before I start installing my DRO. I will do X, Y, and K first, and use the mill and the digital to make the Z axis mounts. I will let you know if I have a problem with K. I have to finish the paint on it first before I get involved with anything else on it.

Tomorrow I'm driving to Yakima to see Russ and get my VFD set up. That will pretty much take my entire up day tomorrow, but it's worth it to have it set up safely and how I want the switches.

Thanks for the pics. They really help. Do you happen to have one from the other side of the Z axis scale? I'm curious to see how you hooked it to the quill.

It will be later this week before I start installing my DRO. I will do X, Y, and K first, and use the mill and the digital to make the Z axis mounts. I will let you know if I have a problem with K. I have to finish the paint on it first before I get involved with anything else on it.

Tomorrow I'm driving to Yakima to see Russ and get my VFD set up. That will pretty much take my entire up day tomorrow, but it's worth it to have it set up safely and how I want the switches.

I can get them Monday. I was stealthy enough to sneak away from Baby Girl's BD party before everyone started showing up but I think they'd miss the cook about now. ;^)

Any time you get them is fine. I really appreciate all the help every one has been to me here.

Besides, a baby girl's Bday party is waaaaay more important than any old Bridgeport is :))

Last edited:
Well I just had to change direction on on my project. I found this. The casting is cracked where the Y axis lock handle goes. I use the the locks all the time when I do my transmissio mods. I can't see any other way to fix this other than pulling the table and saddle off and having it welded up. If I leave it, it will eventually break right in the middle of a job and them I'm screwed. So...............here we go. I guess I roll the tool box over and start taking things apart.

But on the bright side it will make cleaning and painting the saddle much easier once it's off :-(

y axis lock.jpg

y axis lock.jpg

Last edited:
Well the table and saddle wasn't that hard to get off. I was surprised how clean it was under the table.

I did find an old repair on the X axis lead screw adjusting bolt. Looks like a good repair.

I know nothing about welding cast iron. Anyone give me any advise on how this will need to be welded?20140719_142529.jpg20140719_170246.jpg20140719_170813.jpg

20140719_142529.jpg 20140719_170246.jpg 20140719_170813.jpg

There is a shop in Clackamas that can do this. I have had him weld up stamping die parts, seems to do a good job. I'll have to get back to you on the name, I need to ask the shop that I do some tool & die work for, I didn't deal with the guy directly. I won't be able to check until Monday.

Here is what I did for my z scale connection to the reader head. I just built a new quill stop. My system is completely different than yours but the same principal still applies. I would also try to move the scale up as high on the head as possible, just to get it out of the way.
If your interested in seeing more: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21060&p=183002&viewfull=1#post183002

quillstop.jpg

counterbal1.jpg

There is a shop in Clackamas that can do this. I have had him weld up stamping die parts, seems to do a good job. I'll have to get back to you on the name, I need to ask the shop that I do some tool & die work for, I didn't deal with the guy directly. I won't be able to check until Monday.

I would really appreciate the name of the place. We have parts welded at work, bu I think they go to Bend to this one shop that does our fly away parts.

Here is what I did for my z scale connection to the reader head. I just built a new quill stop. My system is completely different than yours but the same principal still applies. I would also try to move the scale up as high on the head as possible, just to get it out of the way.
If your interested in seeing more: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21060&p=183002&viewfull=1#post183002

That's some amazing work you do. I never thought of making a new quill stop. I had envisioned a part that partially wraps around the quill stop and is bolted to it. Kind of like this one.

20140714_125730.jpg

20140714_125730.jpg

Thank you. Either way would work fine. Interestingly, I didn't even think about how to attach the reader to the existing quill stop, I just designed a new one to do what I wanted.

Another idea on your Y-axis lock. I might be tempted to mill out the existing broken material and then make a steel plug that could be brazed in with nickle bronze. I think that would be much stronger than the original material. From your posts, I take it that you have access to a machine shop. If needed we could do it in my mill.

Back