Just purchased a CL187A lathe - need some help

We use 1" PVC to move full safes. Once you have the first piece under the thing you are moving the rest is pretty easy. For a lathe you can use a floor jack to lift each end enough to get the pipe under. With a safe it is a bit more complicated but they can usually be tipped by a couple guys. The weight is spread over the length of the pipe and divided by the number of pipes you have under the thing you are moving. You would be amazed at the ease of moving an object that way, in fact take it very slow as getting it moving is easier than stopping it.

Safes full of ????

Are these your safes, or "borrowed" ;)

Safes full of ????

Are these your safes, or "borrowed" ;)
Whatever it is people keep in safes. I suspect some of them were full of coins as they weighed a ton. You would be surprised the number of people who buy a gun safe and then fill it with something other than guns. I mean, how unsophisticated.

I should note that it works best on hard flat floors. Carpet and anything that isn't smooth makes it harder.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Since I posted this original message I now have 2 - CL187A lathes which will need to be moved. I am still waiting to take delivery of the 1st unit I purchased. Total price for both + all tooling? $200. I'll never find another deal like this.

One last request:
Does anyone know where to find an exploded parts list for the CL187A lathes? I've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find a drawing. If anyone knows where something like this exists please point me in the right direction.
Again, thanks to all.
Jim

Well then, you can give me the second one, and say you quadrupled your money. :encourage:

Well actually, the 1st cost $200. The 2nd was free.

A BOGO deal on Southbend Lathes?
I have never seen a deal like that........
-brino

But, since there are no pictures, there is no proof that any of this is true... :)

A BOGO deal on Southbend Lathes?
I have never seen a deal like that........
-brino
I happen to come across an ad titled "BOGO sale for SB Lathes" or something to that effect a few years ago. What was advertised as a gently used Hobbyist owned lathe with a spare for backup parts that could "easily" be fixed to run on its own giving you 2 working machines turned out to be a longterm protect with potential along with a complete basketcase a parts donor! What the seller actually meant was that by taking all the good pieces from one lathe and fixing them to the better bed you COULD build a Hobbyist sized lathe and have some leftover replacement parts that Could possibly be used to help rebuild a second lathe! The Greatest thing about this was he wanted $1500 FIRM and not a penny less! :laughing:

Ha - I didn't think of it as a Bogo deal but I guess it was. I've been working as an electronics engineer for a small company based in Mass. which had a local production facility in Florida. The owner of the company told me that I was welcome to the lathe since they were going to close the Florida facility and move back to Mass. During this same time, a friend of mine working for a different local company said they were auctioning off another lathe (same models CL187). I low ball bid $200 and won it, a complete surprise to me. Now I've got two well maintained lathes to play with. Even better they come with gobs of tooling. I am currently in the process of getting them moved to my home.

Back