"K" recovery and "demand" job skills

visenfile

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It is somewhat heartening to hear economists name trade related jobs as one of three future job demand fields (the upward "K" leg). The other two on a recent agenda were digital and health care. Some (besides me) in this forum have lamented the demise of junior college trade programs. Perhaps the sometimes unrealistic and relentless push for university degrees can be examined in view of high cost and often low job benefit. Germany had (has?) a system which provided for technical training where it seemed advantageous. They continue to power the EU and most would agree are a leader in quality products.

Housing slump has apparently been driven partly by lack of skilled labor. Recently a documentary appeared showing a growth in female construction workers, and why not, leaving a $15 job (or two) to support a family. I maintain my house in a remote area where contractors do not like to go so I do considerable work I would gladly farm out. No one who seems reliable is interested . If it is not a total house renovation , exterior paint job or roof it is simply no response or no bid. We need to reintroduce the nation to the screwdriver and hammer. For their psychic benefits. To show entry home buyer how to keep a house. To learn how to glue pvc pipe!

I have some rental homes and it is so hard to find competent people or companies for repair work that it is easier to do it my self. There are just too many time I have had to go back and redo items I have hired out to have done. At least in California I feel there would be a good opportunity for anyone going into the trades.

I have retirement squarely in my sights at the moment and I've been crunching the numbers the past two nights in here at work . I could make $18,000 over SS benefits as a part time employee and also do some side hustle jobs on the side . There is a website/app called " next door " out there . This has stirred my interest . I have enough tools in the shed to do just about any job imaginable .

Probably should be in the off topic section...

I have retirement squarely in my sights at the moment and I've been crunching the numbers the past two nights in here at work . I could make $18,000 over SS benefits as a part time employee and also do some side hustle jobs on the side . There is a website/app called " next door " out there . This has stirred my interest . I have enough tools in the shed to do just about any job imaginable .

Next door is wonderful. My company gets regular referrals on it, most anything now I look for first there.

My buddy just retired from McCormick spice at 62 YO and makes out quite well on that website . There's more work out there than you can shake a stick at . :grin: I'm on the fence about retiring this April , I need a small nudge . :)

I'm 53 so years still in front of me, especially owning my own business.

I'm 53 so years still in front of me, especially owning my own business.

I have to get down your way and pick up an enclosed trailer soon . :grin: Seems like they're all made in Georgia . We spend a few weeks down in Surfside Beach SC every year so one of these years I'll go the extra 100 miles or so .

There are several old "craftsman occupations" that have had critical shortages for decades. The shortages in these professions have only become more dire with time.

Hand engravers who do that wonderful Western Scrollwork on Firearms and Knives typically charge fifty dollars an hour (and UP) for their craft. There is no working out in the elements, or dealing with unpleasant dust/fumes. It typically takes 3 to 5 years to develop the skill to a "marketable level". I have known a few engravers who sought their early work; I asked them why. Their response was "when I started making money doing this, I did not realize how bad my work was, and the customer was quite satisfied, but, I did not want my early pieces to be my legacy".
Many Engravers who are on the upper end of skill have a 1 year waiting list to have them work on your item, they charge way more than 50 bucks an hour.

Those who hand polish Japanese Swords (with water stones), known as a "Togishi", are in ridiculous demand. A lower tier polisher charges around 200 dollars per inch of blade. A medium range polisher typically has a 2 to 5 year waiting list. In Japan, they have paid scholarships to learn the craft, as they consider all things associated with Japanese swords a critical part of their traditions and legacy. Even they are having problems finding people of a younger generation willing to dedicate themselves to the craft. As an odd twist of circumstances, American and Australian Togishi are in high demand. This is because there are no import restrictions of swords in those countries. In Japan, an incoming sword MUST be a papered and logged piece of "historical value", or Japanese Customs will cut the blade in half and mail it back to the owner. The owner is not compensated for their loss. This makes sending a sword to America or Australia a lower-risk proposition.

There are many other crafts like these, which are dying, but not for want of demand. The learning curve is so steep that many simply can't imagine spending a few years mastering the craft before they make a buck. On the flip side, people will spend years to get a degree, which will not produce incomes until they have completed their educational program.

I have tried to teach my step sons these skills, as well as electronics and machining... but they have little interest. They are emblematic of their generation. Instead, they pin their hopes on future increases in Minimum wage, and fully embrace the concept that a minimum wage job should pay enough to buy a house and a new car.

Back