K&T Milwaukee Rotary head milling machine mdl D - $5500 (santa cruz)

Here is a demo of the rotary head working. Also has a cool powered rotary table. Interesting shot of the belts at the end. I still do not get how it all works, but I will look until I find out, thats how I am. I hafta know.

I was slathering over these mills with intensity a year or two ago. I bought a spirograph pretty early on in the fall through that rabbit hole. Isn't it just so damn cool? All the brain you gotta put into setting it up to make a movement then make a pattern of movements to create shapes out of metal. This is not an etch-a-sketch.

So is this thing programmed with punch cards or is all mechanical?

I'm not comfortable with machines that are smarter than me. :xmaslights:

I really enjoyed this video. My eyes were as big as saucers and my nose was almost touching the screen, because that's the kind of nerd I am.

I was slathering over these mills with intensity a year or two ago. I bought a spirograph pretty early on in the fall through that rabbit hole. Isn't it just so damn cool? All the brain you gotta put into setting it up to make a movement then make a pattern of movements to create shapes out of metal. This is not an etch-a-sketch.
Your comments regarding the spirograph and complex mills suggests you might like one of my favorite machines, the rose engine turning lathe. Gears, attachments, and complex computations galore. Check it out.

Wow, the rose engines are really something! It's like a dog drive screw machine on crazy roids. I am amazed at how early it was used. It also looks amazingly easy to set up, just follow the book and set the followers... right? ;)

Wow, the rose engines are really something! It's like a dog drive screw machine on crazy roids. I am amazed at how early it was used. It also looks amazingly easy to set up, just follow the book and set the followers... right? ;)
Right.
I wonder if it comes with instructions.......
I'm with you Aaron, I don't like machines that are smarter than me.
Way cool though!

Back