Resolved Keep getting page failures

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am getting plenty of page failures. The site doesn't respond. I upgraded my service I am now at 25mb/s and 5mb/s up. when I fail, I can quickly click on another bookmark and that site comes up, and often, HM is still failing.

IS HM on a low quality server, that we are getting overwhelmed?

I also notice that HM is not as active as it was 3 years ago. What happened? Where'd everyone go?

Jeff,

No one else is reporting any problems. If you haven't been on the site in a while, possibly some of your cookies related to this site are outdated. If you haven's been on in 3 years, there has been at least one major version update. The only cure for that affects most everything as I'm not aware of any browser that will selectively clean up. It;s usually all or nothing. But that's the most likely problem.

As far as the level of activity, my site monitoring is fairly selective, but of the fora that I monitor, the activity level is pretty much the same as it has been for several years. And the number of new members per day doesn't seem to be much different.

Upvote 0
Morning Jeff,

I just want to echo what Robert pointed out, with some additional information and an offer to help.

99 out of 100 "site" problems reported by members is typically something related to outdated cookies, oversize cache, or other browser conflicts with user add-ons, etc. Cookies and cache (i.e., clear your history) is usually the solution. In very rare instances, some members have uninstalled their browser and reinstalled with success.

On rare occasions, we do experience site outage issues. We have taken measures and investments to guarantee backups and restore points in order to minimize any disruption to members user experience. We also have plenty of server space and performance from my viewpoint on the admin side.

Regarding site activity, the membership continues to grow at a rate of 15-20 new members per day. Many, many, members choose to lurk and not participate in forums. This is common across all forums.

To address your specific problem, if you could share some screen shots or any errors that are popping up on your screen, maybe we can help you.

Bryan

Upvote 0
@woodchucker I have recently downgraded my internet connection and have not gotten refresh failures before or after the change. One quick check that is not risky and will confirm your connection and the site is working is to download a portabl browser from portableapps.com. This will make a totally portable app that won't touch your registry (another common source of problems) or conflict with anything you have installed.

If you do this I recommend trying the Iron Browser found at https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/iron_portable It will allow you to have your old browser open at the same time as this test one. It would be helpful to compare them... You can delete the directory for the iron browser when you are done, leaving no trace on your system.

I downloaded that browser and tried the site and had very good results. One note: If you see a web page trying to get you to download cookie or other protection - ignore it and hit the 'back' button. Apparently it is a sponsored ad and will go away if you hit the back button.

PM me for more support options.

Upvote 0
I got home from my son's house and got another.
Sending you a PM

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
ok, today I couldn't get to HM for quite a while.
I normally use Chrome but today I switched to MS Edge during the problem. Both were failing.
So I opened a command line, and pinged the url...
Then they both started working again.

This may be a routing problem with my new ISP. Maybe one of their servers has issues, and others don't. I don't know.

While professionally I was an Oracle DBA and have done a lot of network snooping to troubleshoot co-workers or customer problems, I don't have the resources that I used to have. I will soon try Dabbler's recommendations, but not today. I have some Cobra (medical) issues to deal with, then some other issues. All kind of taking up time, and then the home issues.

And then I am dead again. I can't get to HM, while I can get to other sites.
Not sure that I was correct up above.

connect_fail.jpg

connect_fail2.jpg

Upvote 0
Make sure your bookmarks and url addresses that you are using are prefaced with https://www.

Upvote 0
So I'm running Firefox 62 with 9 security add-ons, running through a VPN and other (undisclosable) security and network protection measures. Here are my 'ping' results:

1633373962180.png

Upvote 0
who's hosting the hm website. is 170.249.204.106 is 170 one of their addresses? Or is a DNS picking up the wrong address

Upvote 0
Back