[4]

Resolved Keep needing to login

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Since the site switched s/w I'm having to login too much. I've not changed anything in my browser but I have done some testing. If I click on the orange Hobby Machinist big square icon at the top left I have to log in again. I have the "stay logged in" option checked. If I am at the "home" screen and click on "Forums" at the top I get logged out. So far, that's what I've seen. I know in the past I've gotten logged out more than what I've just tested so I'll keep an eye out.

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Something is going on . . . I'm just too lazy to try to find a pattern, sooo - I'll just watch you figure it out! Many thanks.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Neither of these reasons may be the culprit in this case, but one thing that can cause a link that once took you straight in to a site to require you to log in is if you cleared history/cookies/etc. (the function seems to go by a different name every time that Microsoft or Apple bring out a new version OS). Another thing that can cause it and that happened to me once is that some browsers can be set to clear cookies every time that you shut down the browser. I never did figure out what had changed the setting. I turned it off and everything went back to normal, and so far has stayed there.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
If you're having difficulties please provide:
- type of device you're using; PC, Tablet, Smartphone, ETC.
- OS Version
- Browser you are utilizing
As is the case in a number of instances when trying to debug or troubleshoot something this info is helpful to say the least.

I'm been running 'tests' for over a week now attempting to duplicate this problem, on (2) android tablets - (4) different browsers | (1) desktop PC, Win7Pro, (2) browsers | (1) laptop, Win7Pro, Firefox | (1) Laptop, Linux Mint17, Firefox. I've only had two of the browsers under android fail.
Firefox seems to be the best bet currently.
If you're on Win10 and using Edge, forgetaboutit-ditchit, switch to Firefox.
Apple OS try it also.

Groundhog

I'm running a PC using Windows 7 Pro and Firefox. Everything is up to date.
Sometimes it seems to work, other times no. If I use a password program to log on it works most (maybe all) of the time.

Sometimes computers really, really suck.

Nelson

I have been working on this. Is it any better?

Nelson

I am on Firefox, and it is keeping me logged in.

Alittlerusty

Registered
I’m on iPhone 8 using safari and chrome both act about the same I log in and if I click on just about anything it says I need to log in again. Happens about 75% of the time. During the login screen the curser is usually a few lines below where it should be but the entered text appears in the right place.

Groundhog

I had to manually log on again just now (Windows 7, Firefox) but I reset Firefox yesterday so I am starting over trying diferent combinations of settings between my password program (RoboForm - which I try not to use with HM but will in I have to) and Firefox. I'll let you know if I have any luck in few days.
Thanks for working on it.

Nelson

I am still working on this.
I myself am being logged off in Internet Explorer. I have no idea why.
I can get access without logoffs in Chrome and Firefox.

I have conducted various experiments based on reading I have done on the Xenforo site.
I have changed the www and non-www access.
I have tried to force the IP to remain constant.
Nothing has worked so far.
But, I am still working on it.

Groundhog

Hobby Mac,
I tried IE and cannot auto log on that way either.

Firefox had a warning in the address bar that says this site is not secure. Following that warning leads to this Firefox support page; https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...-secure-affect-my-safety&utm_source=inproduct

But that wouldn't have anything to do with IE. NOTE; I never use IE so I may not have it set to allow or accept auto log-ons.

Appreciate you taking time to work on this. Not a big deal really (to log on).

Nelson

The warning may be because I removed the https:// before the site url to try to stabilize the home URL.
I can put that back.

IE puzzles me.

:mechanic:

middle.road

Actively Learning...
hmmmm. This has just gone past the 'puzzlement' phase.
Going to go scrounge up a laptop, wipe it and get a bigger shovel.
Might try creating another user account if that's OK...

Groundhog

I don't care about the warning. I just mentioned it in case you thought it might have something to do with this log on thing.

Nelson

Are you still getting the warning? I made some changes.

Nelson

I realize this issue is very frustrating. I am doing my best to work it out.
I appreciate you guys not calling it quits.

Groundhog

Yes, warning is still there.

Nelson

Not for me

1518673767516.png

Groundhog

This is what I get on your account in Firefox:

1518674180876.png

Attachments

Nelson

And I am not getting logged off.

Groundhog

The warning is there for both of us. I circled the warning I am talking about in this picture you posted.

This morning I could not auto log on with either Firefox or IE. I did get logged on using my password program (RoboForm) which hasn't always worked.

1518674035077.png

However, using Roboform is just as bad because I have to log on to that program before I can have it log on to HM! (several more key presses in fact).

Groundhog

HobbyMac,
Just to clarify (I just read the home page banner), and I think this what you mean but . .
I am not having trouble staying logged in once I get logged in. My problem is that when I first navigate to HM I am asked for my user name and password. HM does not seem to be accepting the memorized information in my browser (that info is definitely included in the "Saved Logins" of the options page of Firefox. If I simply navigate away from HM (without logging off) I can come back without having to logon again for some period of time (not sure how long that is - an hour maybe?). Not sure what happens if I logoff. I'll try it now.

Groundhog

OK, I just logged off (from the above post) and immediately opened HM again. It wants a user name and password. Without logging on I tried RoboForm again. It would not work this time (but it worked 12 minutes ago)!

Weird. Ghosts of long departed machinists pranksters maybe?

Nelson

For the FIRST time, on Internet Explorer, I did not have to login repeatedly.
I have removed the Home tab containing the page that I created, and the corresponding navigation addresses.

Please clear your caches thoroughly, and tell me if you have to login again.

Nelson

I am not getting logged off on Edge.

Nelson

Ok, we need to replicate the problem.

Please let me know the EXACT series of actions you took, i.e., what you clicked, before you had to log on again.
We need to track this down.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
OK, I just logged off (from the above post) and immediately opened HM again. It wants a user name and password. Without logging on I tried RoboForm again. It would not work this time (but it worked 12 minutes ago)!

Weird. Ghosts of long departed machinists pranksters maybe?
Time to break out the Sage to chase away the pranksters.

Mike, which Anti-Virus product are you using?
Also I wonder if there are any setting(s) in Roboform that might automatically log you out once you navigate away from a site.
Feels like something is. . .

Dhector

Ok I have fixed my problem with Chrome but I'm not really sure why what I did worked. I discovered that if I typed the URL "https://www.hobby-machinist.com" rather than using the bookmark that I have been using for years it would log me in automatically but if I used my bookmark it would not. So I deleted my bookmark and created a new one and now all is well.

Mine wouldn't stay logged in since the update on my shop pc, using chrome, but my android turbo 2 would stay logged in.
I went to my old bookmark, copied the url after logging in, deleted the bookmark, paste and opened it up again and re bookmarked it. It seems to be working fine now. Thats the first time I personally have heard of doing that but it did seem to work. Thanks.

Nelson

Please delete the old bookmarks. That could cause a problem, since the site's url has been set to "https://www.hobby-machinist.com", in order to correct security issues, and all site URLs are being converted to that URL by the settings which I installed to correct this issue.

donthack

Active User
Registered
Haven't been around for awhile, but this was how I had to log in again. Opened the picture/ video link in a new window, saw an article on broaching, read down to the sketch, double clicked the picture(hobby-machinist.com/attachments/broach_zps13bb7bd0-jpg.182786/). The screen that tells you that you don't have permission to view/ login came up, logged in and viewed picture and saved link for you all. I usually open links in new windows because I have a tendency to wander, this is my trail of bread crumbs. Thanks for all the hard work all you people do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]