Kennedy - let's bury this dog!

GeneT45

Registered
Registered
I'm talking about Kennedy chests here. They suck. They're inferior to a lot of the import stuff. They're over-priced. In short, they're garbage. (Donning my nomex under-garments...).

I have a moderate investment in Kennedy chests dating back to the late nineties. (Lest anyone excuse Kennedy of only sucking lately...)
My boxes have lived a gentrified life. They have held only a very modest weight in each drawer - much, much, less than what one might consider reasonable. Yet the drawers stick, they bind, they hang up, and they wobble. If these said "Shen Wu*" on the outside, I'm certain they would immediately be denounced as crap.

Still, there are on-going posts about picking up, or refurbing Kennedy chests. Don't!

I'm not posting this to berate those who are already invested in Kennedy - I'm posting this for those that might consider parting with hard-earned money for a toolbox that is living on a reputation it has ceased to earn. Spend your hundreds elsewhere - there is **nothing** special about a Kennedy box!

I love America, and I would certainly tout America-First, but I would bet my Chinese Horror Fraught "US General" boxes against a Kennedy box 11 out of 10 times.

Let's stop pretending that this garbage, which is living off of a name they have ceased to earn, is something we should treasure. Kennedy hasn't been a good brand for at least thirty years.

/rant

GsT

*Fake Chinese - I don't know enough Mandarin or Cantonese to make a funny name, so this is entirely fabricated. Any meaning is strictly serendipitous.

The advantage I see with Kennedy metal boxes/chests over others are the shallower drawers: the crappy slides that Kennedy uses makes these slim drawers possible aiding in single-layer organization. Ball bearing slides are heavier duty but take up a lot of space so deeper drawers.

Gerstner boxes also have simple “slides” and shallow drawers (and are beautiful).

I have both a Kennedy top box and roll-away purchased in the early 80s. The top box has been fine, though not rave worthy. The bottom box has always had sticky slides and the paint has not held up well. A real machinist still has to have one though, only a prima-dona has a Gerstner. Kennedy boxes are like Harley-Davidson motorcycles, the reputation has outlived the reality. There, that should have offended just about everyone.

Full disclosure: I do have a Gerstner, bought new also in the 80s. It's more of a jewelry box, never held a tool or been in the shop.

I have None different pieces of Kennedy boxes. Five uppers and four 2-box middle boxes. The uppers are great. I especially love the shallow depth of the drawers. The middles on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired.

That being said, I agree with you 100%. They are nowhere near worth what they are sold for new. But I never paid more than $50 for any of mine. I'd buy more if I had the space.

And the Gerstner I have, paid next to nothing for it. Wouldn't even think about spending $2k on a tool box.

I would love to argue with you...but I don't have a leg to stand on.
After looking at everybody else's Kennedy tool boxes at work I couldn't buy a new Kennedy. They were just to light duty, which is fine I use an eleven drawer top Kennedy for precision tools and a 7 drawer Kennedy bottom for more precision tools NOW back then I chose a used automotive mechanics top box.
I don't pack precision tools in a drawer the way I might screw drivers.
I still believe the best tool chest have many thin drawers.

No offense taken: with the exception of a great deal ($50!) I got on a lightly used box & riser a couple of years ago, my Kennedy’s were bought at a discount on sale prices in the early 80’s and I keep Machinist’s tools in them for the most part. My Gerstner is a factory second 26” wide Walnut I bought in 96 ($300?) to hold my Father’s carving & other small tools after he passed.

The two I have hold antique machinist tools that see use less frequently.
I paid 80.00 for one and was given the other.
I purchase all my tool boxes experienced
lol I could never afford the boxes I own at new prices. My first roll cab was a used snap on I paid 350.00 for used and was just over 800.00 new, that was mid 80's I believe

Back