Kennedy - let's bury this dog!

I'm pretty sure the latin term vidmar emptor is used by those who hate how Vidmars are magnets for collecting random stuff. They're kind of like 5 gallon buckets, except with drawers. Dig, dig, dig... Oh, there's that thing. What was I doing? Oh yeah, dig, dig...

I'm pretty sure the latin term vidmar emptor is used by those who hate how Vidmars are magnets for collecting random stuff. They're kind of like 5 gallon buckets, except with drawers. Dig, dig, dig... Oh, there's that thing. What was I doing? Oh yeah, dig, dig...
They are great for what they are designed for, keeping spare parts organized in an industrial maintenance shop.

Looks like the US military has extensive uses for them, explains a lot....

JOhn

Back in the mid 80's I bought by first real toolbox, a Mac MB1500, gave $2400 for it. I worked flat rate out of that thing for daily for 20 years, beat the P out of it, never a problem, replaced the slides recently, all were free as they were covered under warranty. That box is still rock solid. I guess that it's true that you get what you paid for.

Back in the mid 80's I bought by first real toolbox, a Mac MB1500, gave $2400 for it. I worked flat rate out of that thing for daily for 20 years, beat the P out of it, never a problem, replaced the slides recently, all were free as they were covered under warranty. That box is still rock solid. I guess that it's true that you get what you paid for.
I think it's more accurate to say: "You don't get what you don't pay for.". In many cases you're lucky to get what you pay for, and you often get less. (Same with employees.)
GsT

I think it's more accurate to say: "You don't get what you don't pay for.". In many cases you're lucky to get what you pay for, and you often get less. (Same with employees.)
GsT
Boy, aint that the truth.

. (Same with employees.)
And employers.

This thread has been really informative for me to get the reasoning behind different choices. What does it for one doesn’t for another.

My brother, my cousin and my uncle were Harley men. I had a BMW R/75/5 and liked the smooth quiet so just didn’t get the loud bone rattle but to each their own. Same with toolboxes I see now. I would have asked them why they picked them but didn’t want to be seen as antagonistic so once again H-M delivered without getting entangled.

I’m a snap on tool box person. Bought a few. Never replaced one that had problems just more space. I have couple drawers pretty full and heavy but can open and close with couple fingers. Expensive. Yes. But worked for my needs. Still is. Now just for tool storage

Attachments

• 0CEDB029-DCAA-4112-86A8-1A71EE9D324D.jpeg
    0CEDB029-DCAA-4112-86A8-1A71EE9D324D.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2E517B21-6DD3-42B5-A255-B10D3BF9838F.jpeg
    2E517B21-6DD3-42B5-A255-B10D3BF9838F.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 15
@GeneT45 Of my Kennedy tool boxes, my youngest is 30+ years old, continuous use, and my oldest is 50+ years old with intermittent use. All my slides are like new, and the handles are all pristine. Only 1 of the 6 was bought 'new' - it was an unbranded Kennedy that probably was sold out the back door of the factory - so I got a top box with 11 drawers for less than 120$. ALL my others were bought used from tool and die makers, or their estates. Max spent on any one was $45 They are NOT a general purpose box - All my heavy stuff is in the Husky from HDepot.

OOPS- I only have 3 left. I forgot I gave my nephew 2 of my Kennedy boxes. So I have 200$ invested in a 526, and two 520s.

The bottom drawer of the box has contents weighing about 250 lbs, and it still works fine (10 years use)

Another honorable mention is my Husky Pro series rolling bottom box. It has 6 drawers with a capacity of 200 lbs each, and they guy I bought it from bought it used from a maintenance shop in our city; so VERY heavy use. And it is still just fine. I forgot about this one when I did my other post. (I got it for 50 bucks, and it lives outside)

Now for the best bang-for-buck: Lateral file cabinets. I buy them for 25$ each from government surplus. But you can get them for FREE if you look... In buy the 5 high units, which gives you 4 drawers, and one shelf with a door on the top. Each one of *those* is rated at 300 lbs, because, you know, paper.... I have 5 of these, and am about to buy my 6th. I store my steel shorts in one of the bottom drawers, and it has served just fine for 3 years without complaint. I'm sure I'm over the 300lb limit.

OMG I didn't know how much Kennedy toolboxes cost nowadays! my 3 boxes (new) are over 2100USD retail!!! Now I know why people are disappointed!!

Back