Knurling advice

... Mult-tracking every time.
What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried just increasing pressure on the knurls? The play in the arms may or may not be a problem. I don't like it personally but I don't think that's the major issue. I think inadequate pressure is the issue.

Thanks Will. I'll give it a try.
I calculated my .375" brass rod, using a 31 lines per inch (teeth) wheel to have me turn the diameter to .37"
Then I tried as if the teeth were 32 which gave me a diameter to turn to of .368"
33 LPI had me turn diameter to .367"
Nothing worked.
So I should try next at .372"?

Sorry, I deleted my post after thinking about it. If it's just vertical play, it shouldn't matter as the play should be cancelled out when you tighten down on the stock. I can't view mov videos from my phone so I'll have to wait till I get to computer to view it. I also can't see very much detail in the pic you posted.

So after I view your video I'll see if I have any more ideas.

But don't go smaller in dia, that never worked for me, if anything try going slightly bigger than the calculated dia.

I just used lube, might of used my cold air gun too, I forget. I got pretty good results, well IMO, as seen in the pic I posted earlier in this thread.

I can get those results, too, Will but I wondered what else might be possible. I know there must be a way to get cleaner knurls in Delrin.

The play is lateral, maybe three or so degrees each side. No need to view detail. The quality stinks.
Mike, after every turn I tightened the knurls.
As I hold onto the rod the turns the chuck I can feel each tooth as the knurl turns. Boomp, boomp, boomp.

I can get those results, too, Will but I wondered what else might be possible. I know there must be a way to get cleaner knurls in Delrin.

Yes, there is a way, a cut knurler. Hint hint, just $aying. :D

Crank up the pressure until the wheels track. Brass is fairly easy to knurl - shouldn't take that much to do it. Try it on a new piece of material. Just skim cut the outer layer off, then put the knurling tool in place. Engage the knurls and then take a 1/4 turn. If it fails to track, take another 1/4 turn and it should track. Then increase pressure until you get a full pattern. Give it a try.

rofl.gif

I have a no name Eagle Rock knock off from Enco, to get good knurls I had to take the sloop out of the longitudinal axis by tightening the center screw and nut. By doing that I was able to stop most double track issues. That and making darn sure my rig was dead square to work and upper and lower arm were dead center vertically. I have an acquaintance, late 70s age, owned his own shop for most of his life, he never contemplates diameter he just knurls, either bump or scissors style, makes pretty good looking knurls, says if he has trouble double tracking he cleans the knurls, uses more force and does em again. He just rolled his eyes when I tried to explain the calculations for proper starting diameter, saying something about why change what works for him. I myself am not so lucky, but I had no argument so left it alone.

Back