Knurling advice

Good info greg, thanks.
Does your LMS knurler have play in it? Mine does.
I tried with the correct diameter this morning but it still doubletracked.

I have a Aloris BXA knurler and try to knurl in a single pass. This seems to work most of the time. For those of you that make multiple passes, do you reverse the feed direction, or put the whole lathe in reverse when using power feed? Most of the time I have good luck with a single pass, but there are times when i would like to take a second pass to deepen the pattern.

So I tried counting the lines on my fine/straight knurling wheel. The package says 33LPI so I used that in the formula. I got double tracking.
I tried the paper test and counted the lines within an inch and I counted 31LPI. I adjust my my formula and got more double tracking.
Tonight I am going to split the difference and input 32LPI.

I have a Aloris BXA knurler and try to knurl in a single pass. This seems to work most of the time. For those of you that make multiple passes, do you reverse the feed direction, or put the whole lathe in reverse when using power feed? Most of the time I have good luck with a single pass, but there are times when i would like to take a second pass to deepen the pattern.

I disengage power feed, leave the lathe running and just [manually] feed out at about twice the speed that I used going in. It helps to use a wire brush and some compressed air to clear the flakes before you back out. The cleaner you get it, the crisper your pattern will be on the second pass.

Last edited:
Just in case Darkzero has been working on anyone else's mind, the K1-44 is available with a 5/8" shank to fit the AXA tool holders: http://specialtytooling.eaglerockon...-scissor-type-knurling-tools/k1-44-21-0625r-e

Note that they now come in LH, RH or center so order the right one for your needs.
Curious, have never turned a particular diameter for knurling just what the Customer drawing demands, for instance 2.500 Diameter, 12 Pitch, 3" length. I do however do a recurring job, straight knurl on 1" Delrin rounds 5" long, this is more challenging then doing the same in 304 stainless.

Wreck, let me ask you - are you getting a clean knurl in Delrin? If so, how are you doing it? I get a fairly good pattern but its a bit smeared, if you know what I mean. I've tried fast, slow and medium speed. I've tried with coolant, compressed air to cool and clear flakes. I've even tried knurling with virgin knurls to be sure they're sharp. Every result is the same or nearly so. The only thing I haven't tried is to freeze it before quickly knurling it but I've been thinking about it.

Share your expertise if you will.

Hi All
So I tried all three setting, 31-33 LPI. Same results each time.
I turn the stock down to the required diamter based on the formula.
I put the knurling tool squarely over the rod at what looks like top dead center.
I tighten lightly and hand turn one revolution, (the chuck), and then tighten a little more and turn a revolution and repeat for about six turns.
Mult-tracking every time.
What am I doing wrong?
I am including a vid showing the play in my knurling tool. Is that it?
Plus a couple samples.

IMG_0389.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0387.MOV
    12.2 MB · Views: 23
Wreck, let me ask you - are you getting a clean knurl in Delrin? If so, how are you doing it? I get a fairly good pattern but its a bit smeared, if you know what I mean. I've tried fast, slow and medium speed. I've tried with coolant, compressed air to cool and clear flakes. I've even tried knurling with virgin knurls to be sure they're sharp. Every result is the same or nearly so. The only thing I haven't tried is to freeze it before quickly knurling it but I've been thinking about it.

Share your expertise if you will.

I just used lube, might of used my cold air gun too, I forget. I got pretty good results, well IMO, as seen in the pic I posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks Will. I'll give it a try.
I calculated my .375" brass rod, using a 31 lines per inch (teeth) wheel to have me turn the diameter to .37"
Then I tried as if the teeth were 32 which gave me a diameter to turn to of .368"
33 LPI had me turn diameter to .367"
Nothing worked.
So I should try next at .372"?

Back