Knurling Titanium

My brother swears by his safety razor. I'm not sure I could look myself in the mirror long enough to do a good job with one of those. :p

Nice work!

Can you show more about how you did the setup for that.

Jeff,

My apologies for not answering earlier. In terms of setup, keep in mind that I am using a cut knurler, so with a form knurler, things are probably a little different.

This particular cut knurler has a cutter head that is adjustable up-down on the tool holder. So I keep the tool holder height fixed, and only adjust the actual cutting head.

The adjustment is done by a screw on top, once you loosen the 3-side screws that hold the "head" that holds the cutters in place. Even when I am doing traditional cross-knurling, I always adjust, fine-tune this height so that both cutters are touching the material at the same time. So when I want to do swirl or twist knurling, I simply adjust the head down, like two full turns, so the bottom cutting knurl wheel is not touching the work - only the top one. I then proceed to feed (x-direction) and engage the carriage so the knurl proceeds towards the chuck.

In this picture you can see the top height adjustment screw (with the D and U, for down and Up), and the 3x side screws you tighten once the head is at the right place:
DSCF0581.JPG

Here, on free-machining brass, I used both methods. First a symmetric knurl, and then in the middle (smaller OD) I did just the twist/swirl knurl:
DSCF1011.JPG

DSCF1016.JPG

Here I did both a normal swirl, and a very light swirl:
DSCF1029.JPG

DSCF1034.JPG

Wow incredible work. I have never seen a spiral like that and now I want one. :)) I have never read about cut knurls. I will have to look at getting one. Your post help with how they work. Thanks for the post.

Jeff

Darn! These shavers look beyond gorgeous! Truly makes me want to build my own.

Here in our local mall they opened up a fancy shaving accessories place (e.g. that is all they sell) and a shaver can be as much as $175.00. PLEASE!!!! They even feel plastic with metallic finish.

OK, let's put it this way. NOW I need to make me one of these!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Those spiral cut knurls look awesome. I only recently started using my scissor style knurl tool by eaglerock and so far has been really easy. I tried searching for ways to achieve the spiral pattern using a scissor style knurl tool, but didn't find any information.

Is it as simple as using the same direction knurls on the top and bottom? I know you can use a single bump style knurl to achieve a spiral (from seeing failed diamond attempts when only one wheel touches), however was trying to avoid having to use a live center and just use the scissor style.

Those spiral cut knurls look awesome. I only recently started using my scissor style knurl tool by eaglerock and so far has been really easy. I tried searching for ways to achieve the spiral pattern using a scissor style knurl tool, but didn't find any information.

Is it as simple as using the same direction knurls on the top and bottom? I know you can use a single bump style knurl to achieve a spiral (from seeing failed diamond attempts when only one wheel touches), however was trying to avoid having to use a live center and just use the scissor style.

Not trying to nit pick here but as far as I ever knew, the correct term for "spiral knurling" is simply LH/RH single diagonal knurling. Some people may not know what "spiral knurling" is without seeing a pic of it.

Anyways, I also use EagleRock Knurlcraft scissor knurlers, the K1-44 heavy duty scissor to be exact. To get a single diagonal knurl with a scissor tool, simply use two wheels with the same direction rather than a LH & RH diagonal wheels to get a diamond pattern.

I use the HD version cause I knurl Ti with it but I also use solid carbide roll pins & convex wheels for traversing. Generally with knurling you want to avoid double tracking but I sometimes induce double tracking when doing a single diagonal knurl to get a finer pattern without having to change wheel pitch.

Here's two examples Ti 6Al4V done with the same pitch wheels.

Img_3151.jpg

With the same pitch, a Ti flashlight made by a well known flashlight maker with my knurling.

KnurledTiRCR123_WIP-18_zps8aaf3b0c.jpg

And again the same pitch with induced double tracking, a Ti ice pick that I made for Matt at Precision Matthews.

Img_3509_zps25ebea69.jpg

Img_3515_zps7c0c764e.jpg

Img_3151.jpg

KnurledTiRCR123_WIP-18_zps8aaf3b0c.jpg

Img_3509_zps25ebea69.jpg

Img_3515_zps7c0c764e.jpg

Way Way Cool Wquiles! You're doing an outstanding job! I bet one of those would really look cool anodized in a few different colors. My hat's off to you Sir.

Dwayne

Back