Knurling tool build

That would work if I could grind grooves into the axle. I may have a better idea. Drill the hole only partly through one arm. Then use a washer or plate to hold the axle in. That also leave nothing sticking out to interfere with the chuck.
Robert

Have a slip fit pin with each side having a flat and set screw them thru the arms . Plenty of ways to do this . If it were me , I would use a grade 8 bolt and loc-tite the threads on one side , or use a shoulder bolt .

Reactions: rwm
I second shoulder bolts if possible. This application is one of the reasons they exist as far as I know. You can tighten down a nut on a shoulder bolt without pinching the two arms together on the wheel and the ground surface of the shoulder should make a good bearing surface.

Reactions: rwm
Of course that hinges on finding shoulder bolts with the exact dimensions you need, since your parts are made already...

Awesome work by the way! I've been thinking about buying a pinch type knurler for a while but never considered making my own!

I haven't read every post but has anyone mentioned just using a pin?

1584726336899.png

Or was excessive wear an issue there?

I haven't read every post but has anyone mentioned just using a pin?

View attachment 317517

Or was excessive wear an issue there?
Lots of great ideas. I like the grade 8 shoulder bolt idea if the arms stay far enough apart.
Those pins would have wear issues. Arm spacing issues.
Robert

Here's where we are:

1584756834894.png

1584756852838.png

1584756878982.png

This version is with the hollow axles (hardened O1) and wimpy #8 screws. We will see how that holds up to testing. It feels very solid otherwise.
Robert

Back