Kool Mist / Noga mini mist for the home shop?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
After doing my first cuts and using some 20-50 oil on a facing operation... I have determined that's not something I'd like to do very often, because of the smoke. My shop is fairly air tight and heated/cooled.

Is a noga mini mist and kool mist 77 the ticket for me?

After doing my first cuts and using some 20-50 oil on a facing operation... I have determined that's not something I'd like to do very often, because of the smoke. My shop is fairly air tight and heated/cooled.

Is a noga mini mist and kool mist 77 the ticket for me?
20-50 as in motor oil?
don't use motor oil.

you might want to try anchor lube.
kool mist can be the ticket.. you might try it in a spray bottle first to see if it agrees with you... then invest if it works.

I use tapmatic, mobil 766 , anchor lube, alcohol, wd40 .
edit: mobil 77 to mobil 766 damn memory keeps failing me.

Last edited:
I have a Kool mist system on my mill. I mix it up a gallon at a time and put the jug in rack I made and mounted on the side of the mill. I can post a picture tomorrow if you want to see it. In addition to the Kool mist system, I also keep a spray bottle handy. Depending on the operation, I use one or the other, or nothing at all.

Regards

A spray bottle of the same kool mist? Any issues with rust? It can be left on the machine surfaces?

I use Kool Mist and Anchor Lube regularly. For small quick operations Anchor Lube is easy, for bigger cuts or jobs, I keep the Kool Mist mounted at the mill and lathe, just have to connect regulated air.

I have not had rust issues. And I had a bad episode breathing smoke from using Tap Magic…I no longer use that product.

We live in a fairly high humidity environment, so flash rust is a common issue. I do not find that Kool mist creates any specific rust issues on its own, but I usually wipe down my machines and tooling at the end of operations. For rust control, I routinely use Fluid Film spray on most metal surfaces of my machines.

We live in a fairly high humidity environment, so flash rust is a common issue. I do not find that Kool mist creates any specific rust issues on its own, but I usually wipe down my machines and tooling at the end of operations. For rust control, I routinely use Fluid Film spray on most metal surfaces of my machines.
P.S.: Unless it's apparent Fluid Film is necessary, I will spray a light coat of penetrating oil (PB Blaster or AeroKroil) on machines and workbenches.

Cool mist 77 fluid is great and I use it almost exclusively on my Mill. However I don't use the cool mist delivery system. Instead I use a Fog Buster system. I started with the Cool Mist delivery but it was very time intensive to get the flow right. with the venturi style fluid pickup it was very sensitive to where I put the source bottle of fluid (height wise) and I would constantly have to fiddle with the flow valve. Once I switched to the pressure system (Fog Buster) I rarely have to adjust it and it just works.

Back