Kool Mist / Noga mini mist for the home shop?

I like more air than coolant. The Kool Mist product works well IMHO.
I don't like fluids running down my mill or lathe pan. Makes me crappie flip.
Most knee mills have a drain hole at the end of the table. If I installed a drain tube it would be much easier to handle.

Cool mist 77 fluid is great and I use it almost exclusively on my Mill. However I don't use the cool mist delivery system. Instead I use a Fog Buster system. I started with the Cool Mist delivery but it was very time intensive to get the flow right. with the venturi style fluid pickup it was very sensitive to where I put the source bottle of fluid (height wise) and I would constantly have to fiddle with the flow valve. Once I switched to the pressure system (Fog Buster) I rarely have to adjust it and it just works.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered a gallon of Kool Mist and will test it out with a spray bottle... which for the size work I'm doing will probably be more than adequate.

I'm using a pair of the import sprayers. They are the venturi type, but they work well for me. I also like more air than coolant, though you can adjust it to spray quite a bit of coolant.

I only use a kool mist system on my Tormach cnc mill. It runs hours at a time and can be finely adjusted. The formula is listed as nontoxic and does not produce rust in proper mixing. I do however also spray the bottom of my vises and inside the t-slots with LPS3 for added protection.

Water based coolants do not create (or create much less) smoke. They also cool the work and cutters better than oil does. Most of the better water based coolants/lubricants do a really good job, and are less likely to cause rust and other corrosion than you might think at first glance. I also find them easy to clean up afterwards, though I do try to clean as much as I can from all the nooks and crannies, just to make sure things don't get gummy. Some dried water based coolants can leave a residual sticky/tacky coating, which can still be cleaned up without much work, especially if it has been done soon after finishing the job.

I tried out Kool Mist 77 in my new Fog Buster over the weekend. Using some nice variable helix end mills on steel it was fantastic. Like buttah. Seriously smooth milling and terrific surface finish. The Fog Buster didn't put noticeable vapor / odor in the air and after cleanup did not leave any rust or residue. No real downside I can see...lot of upside. I'll install a Fog Buster on my lathe next.

Back