Kurt DX6 - Rev B

My DX6 Rev B is on the sea to Trinidad and hopefully it will arrive here soon.
Playing with my PM 6" vise this morning, I did a little Jaw-lift test with the tenths indicator and clamping a 2" x .375" piece of 6061 aluminum, only to realize how impressive it is, pretty decent for a Chinese economy vise I think.
EDIT:
I just repeated the test using 0.50" 6061 round stock supported by a parallel and positioned the centerline at the very top of the jaw. Same result, no lifting
......Still excited about receiving my DX6 though:grin:

Last edited:
Awhile ago I bought a 6" import vise with swivel table, it was around $135 as I recall. Really, I have not found any issue with it. Everything I measure is very acceptable, basically no movement on a 0.001" indicator in any axis. However, I still want a Kurt. :)

FINALLY, the DX6 is being loaded on the boat in Miami port. It will be another two weeks till I get it. One week's sailing, then one week for the Customs blood-suckers to figure all sorts of ways to charge me taxes!
:devil:

Well, the DX6 Rev B is finally here! Indeed, a thing of beauty! :beer mugs:
KURT DX6 Rev B.jpg

FINALLY, the DX6 is being loaded on the boat in Miami port. It will be another two weeks till I get it. One week's sailing, then one week for the Customs blood-suckers to figure all sorts of ways to charge me taxes!
:devil:
And I thought logistics to Alaska was a PITA. Maybe it's not so bad after all.

Being down in the Caribbean, logistics for shipping is one thing but the cost of shipping, duties and taxes is the real PITA. If something arrives defective for instance, Customs will not refund and I pay shipping, duties and taxes all over again on the replacement part coming in (and, THEY determine the value for imposing tariffs), and forget about sending the defective part back. With the Covid 19 shipping fiasco still ongoing, those delays tear into one's warranty period also.

Update, Turns out this Shars 3-spoke vise crank is really nice, but the spokes bump onto the Y-Axis crank. I took off 1.25" from each spoke and my new @clough42 Electronic leadscrew on my lathe made quick work of putting M10-1.0 threads on the cut ends. All good now, this vise / crank combination suits my needs perfectly.
Anyone notice how much stuff we make on our machines, for the same machines we bought to make stuff on? :laughing:

Last edited:
Back