L0 Spindle Internal Taper

Be_Zero_Be

Be_Zero_Be
Registered
Does anyone know what the internal taper is on a L0 spindle?
I can find all of the dimensions and specifications of the external taper but no data on the internal taper.

Thanks for your help.

Hi benmytree,
What I am looking for is the taper of the bore inside the spindle.
Thanks.

Ha, I see what you're asking now. The L0 spec is for the external surface of the spindle nose that engages the chuck. You want to know the dimensions and taper of the spindle through hole... not given in the L0 spec. Probably need to reference your lathe manufacturer. My guess is (puts on clairvoyant assumption hat) you're going to be looking for a morse taper in the bore. What do you use for centers or tool holders in the bore?

It would be a Morse taper, or a portion of a Morse taper; if you had an appropriate size of MT sleeve, slide it in and see how it fits. I have used regular MT sleeves for headstock center sleeves on several lathes, you just cut them off as necessary, and possibly rebore and ream the ID taper tomake the dead center fit as desired.

I have an L0 spindle on my LeBlond lathe and the internal spindle taper is a Morse taper #5.

1564434990574.png

It would be a Morse taper, or a portion of a Morse taper; if you had an appropriate size of MT sleeve, slide it in and see how it fits. I have used regular MT sleeves for headstock center sleeves on several lathes, you just cut them off as necessary, and possibly rebore and ream the ID taper tomake the dead center fit as desired.

I agree. Every headstock taper on an L series spindle I've seen has been a Morse, or as benmychree noted "a portion of a Morse taper". However I think you're going to have to either measure it, find a manual that states what size it is, or find someone who has the same make and model lathe that knows the taper size.

As far as I am aware there is no standard size internal Morse taper for each size in the L (Long Taper) series spindles. As Kjones95206 noted he has a MT #5 taper on his LeBlond L0 spindle. I have also an MT #5 on my Sheldon machine, but my machine has an L00 spindle.

To make things even more difficult the spindle taper on my machine is only about 4" long rather than the standard 5.19" for a full length #5 taper. It's referred to as a "short #5 taper". Essentially it's a 4" section out of the middle of a #5 taper with the same taper angle, but neither end the standard diameter of a full length #5.

The diameter of the opening is 1.842"
I measured a taper of .030" over a length of .628" with a dial indicator and a test indicator.
This works out to 2.7349 degrees from center line.
That's a taper of .04776" per inch.

Below is a photo of the L0 spindle of my PBR Lathe (with false chuck installed).

False Chuck-1.JPG

None of the Morse sizes seem to be close.
I am beginning to think it is a B&S #12.

b-s-tapers-jpg.299401

Attachments

• B&S Tapers.JPG
    B&S Tapers.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 162
Back