L0 Spindle Internal Taper

Just keep in mind the numbers in the chart are those at the ends of the prescribed length. As an example the #5 is 1.4750 diameter at the small end and 5.19" from that point should be 1.7480" in diameter. If the length of the taper is shorter than 5.19" it will affect the diameter at each end. I would bet the taper in the spindle is less than the full 5.19" long

projectnut,

The taper in the spindle is only about 3" long.
That would make it a segment of a full taper.

I was able to get the drawing from Italy for a 3MT adapter for my spindle.
The outside is an angular measurement I read as 1 degree, 19 minutes and 180 seconds.

I have a feeling this a non-standard taper.

PBR Spindle.JPG

I wasn't sure exactly how to read that.
I viewed it as a Degree-Minute-Seconds (DMS) annotation.
1 degree = 60 miinutes = 3600 seconds
If the 1966 drawing indicated a DMS notation then I believe my interpretation is correct.
I am open to other interpretations.

Put an indicator on the spindle bore ( a Last Word indicator works well ). Use your compound to move it a known distance into the bore. The reading on the indicator, the distance moved and good old trig will give you the exact angle and/or taper per inch of YOUR spindle.........Bob

Hmm... I wonder if that 1:19.180 is just a typo on the chart. The rest of the measurements fit with MT5 pretty closely, which has a 1:19.002. That ends up being .0526"/inch (you measured .04776/in equiv over .628). I wonder if you could have combined been almost exactly 3 thou over that stretch?

Hmm... I wonder if that 1:19.180 is just a typo on the chart. The rest of the measurements fit with MT5 pretty closely, which has a 1:19.002. That ends up being .0526"/inch (you measured .04776/in equiv over .628). I wonder if you could have combined been almost exactly 3 thou over that stretch?
Er, not a typo on the chart, a typo in the drawing.

Back