L00 spindle faceplates and chuck adapters

Thanks P.N., what I have right now is a 10" i dependant 4 jaw, a nice Jacobs spindle nose collet chuck with all of the collets. Also i have adapted a 4" 3 jaw and a 4" 4 jaw from my old lathe by using the inside taper of the spindle nose and a draw bar, so no thru hole. I really like the convenience of having a 3 jaw again. I had some small parts that needed to be held internally. I had ro be careful not ro turn them into triangles with the 3 jaw.

I am wondering if I got a 6 jaw chuck would it cause any problems that a 3 jaw wouldn't?

Personally I would go with a 3 jaw chuck with the American Standard 2 piece jaws. With this style chuck there isn't much chance you would loose one or the other sets of jaws because there is only one set. They are turned in one direction for inside holding and the opposite direction for outside holding.

In addition I would also purchase a couple sets of American Standard aluminum soft jaws. They can be bored to any diameter, thus creating a holding surface that mirrors the OD of the part being turned. In all my time in a machine shop I never found it necessary to use a 6 jaw chuck. We did lots of thin wall 6061 aluminum and 316 stainless tubing and never had a problem with deforming the tubes using soft jaws. As a caveat the work we did was primarily one offs, repairs, and prototypes. I might feel differently if I had been in a production shop.

Here's a link to a company that specializes in lathe chuck jaws:

I have purchased several sets of their aluminum soft jaws for my 6" and 8" chucks. I prefer the aluminum to steel in that they are a bit less expensive and easier to bore to size. I've yet to need to grip anything so tight I would need the steel jaws.

Thanks, that make a lot of sense.
What do you think of this package?
1556739325319ad8be27977b3acd8084fe8f4fbc079b2b1b4a4bf9c0c3665a2bf6c7e13265dd8d34dde7c7bec7458b...jpg
I think it was $179 with shipping.
I wish it was a Buck, but no.

It sounds like it will fit your machine, and does use the American Standard jaws. The advertized TIR is .003" which is pretty much normal for the non-adjustable style. I would assume it's an import. As such when you get it I would make sure it's clean and works well. Then install it and use a dowel pin or other known true shaft and check the run out 1" from the jaws. If it truly is within .003 you are good to go. I would contact the seller before committing and see if there is any guarantee as to the run out. Also check to see whether or not the seller will pay for return shipping should the item be defective or not within the advertised specs.

Hello L00 people! I am not one of you (I’m a lowly 1-1/2 8 TPI!) I wanted you all to know that there is a nice 4-jaw south bend chuck on eBay right now with a surprise L00 mount. Go and get it!

eBay item no. #333659323135

Soooooooooooo...................................how much ? :grin:

Unfortunately it’s not mine - I was looking for chucks for my 9A!

Gotta nice Bison 4 jaw scroll chuck on a 1 1/2 8TPI backplate . I can use the chuck but not the backplate .

I’m always on the lookout for anything 1-1/2 x 8 TPI...

Back