Lapping lathe ways?

Rustrp,

The ways on my machines are so clean, you could eat off of them!

Yes, I keep them wiped down and oiled before and after use.

Like I said, I have no problem using way oil on larger lathes, just don't recommend it for smaller lathes like 9" or 10" lathes and smaller.

Ken

Edit: Rustrp, I appreciate your opinion, but your not the only one out there that has opinion over the subject. And this is everyone's right to voice their opinion on H-M. Let's not go off on the deep end with this. Ken

Harrzack

Lapping the lathe bed is a very bad idea. Like someone said if you have dings in the ways on the lathe bed. Use a sharpening stone and hand stone the high spots down flush with the flat surfaces of the ways.
After stoning clean up the area and remove ALL the grit and grime.

rg4s

I not from Missouri ( the show me state), and you may well be right, but I would have to see a side by side test to prove to me before I'll switch to hydraulic oil on my 10EE.

Hal

Last edited:
Fellas, let's just agree to to disagree. Everyone has their own views on things, either based on whats logical or what works best for them in past experience. Nothing wrong with being different, the world would be so boring & non-innovative if were all thought or did the same.

Back on track, I couldn't wait for the OP to link the videos anymore. I was curious what the reasoning was. Here's a couple of videos that I found on YT as well as a page where the idea seemed to have came from? Crazy ideas always come from the mini lathe guys, nothing wrong with that as they have came up with some great ideas on things but not always the best thing to do like this crazy lapping idea.

Nothing against the mini-lathe site as it's a great resource, but really, metal polish?

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Lapping/mt_lap.htm

It is an understandable temptation in making the ways " shiny" . Any long
used lathe has hills and dales on the ways. For the most part, they are in
Themselves harmless; if you grind or scrape them "pretty" you will have
to lower every thing else to match center heights? Tell me I'm wrong.......
BLJHB "

Like I said, I have no problem using way oil on larger lathes, just don't recommend it for smaller lathes like 9" or 10" lathes and smaller.

Ken

Edit: Rustrp, I appreciate your opinion, but your not the only one out there that has opinion over the subject. And this is everyone's right to voice their opinion on H-M. Let's not go off on the deep end with this. Ken

To me its not just about different opinions but also about what they are based on. So Ken, any explanation of why smaller lathes are different than larger ones when it comes to way oil would be appreciated. Its not enough for me to know what to do, I also want to know why I'm doing it.
As a novice I look up to you and several others here for guidance but your statement threw me for a loop. Hopefully I won't land in the deep end.

To me its not just about different opinions but also about what they are based on. So Ken, any explanation of why smaller lathes are different than larger ones when it comes to way oil would be appreciated. Its not enough for me to know what to do, I also want to know why I'm doing it.
As a novice I look up to you and several others here for guidance but your statement threw me for a loop. Hopefully I won't land in the deep end.
I replied to this yesterday and my post disappeared, and I'm not sure why. I questioned the comment. I know when I'm reading opinion, along with instructions with the connotations of do it because I said so.

In essence my question was how do I take this from the classroom and apply it in the lab, the shop? The alternate is to ignore what is stated because it's just opinion.

In 50 years of working in and running a machine shop ---never ever seen or been a part of lapping ways of a lathe.

What should mini lathe owners do, then, to correct for the cheap Manufacturing of their beds?

Do you have a suggestion for a better METRIC lathe?
I have had trouble finding a comparable lathe which is metric.

Back