Latest project: A Tangential Toolholder for a QCTP

jgedde

Active User
Registered
I was wondering whether the hype over the Diamond toolholder was justified. After reading writeup on gadgetbuilder.com about such a toolholder, I decided to make one. The first prototype take was closely based on the design given at gadgetbuilder and made from aluminum. It worked phenomenally. I get near mirror finishes on a wide variety of materials from brass and aluminum to SS and plain steel. On plain steel, the turning gives a satisfying hiss sound and gives a surface that rivals grinding.

So, given that it worked so well I decided to make some minor improvements and make a new one out of steel. Also, I made up a set of plans.

Check it out and make one. You'll be pleased for sure...

Here are the plans: drawing.pdf

And here are some pictures:

IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

John

IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
thank you for the nice plans john
I have wanted one of these
I'll build one
steve

Kennyd

Active User
Registered
Nice Job;)

I don't want the plans though...I just want to buy one!

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Nice, solid design. I saved the plans for when I get the mill up and running (and learn how to use it :eek:).

Thanks John,

-Ron

PurpLev

Active User
Registered
looks great. might just try one myself. thanks for posting this!

jgedde

Active User
Registered
Re: Latest project: A Tangential Toolholder for a QCTP -VIDEO!

Here's a video of the toolholder in action: [video=youtube;vUrdnWTvln0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUrdnWTvln0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

A roughing cut, a finigh cut and a facing operation. There's a closeup photo of the surface finish at the end...

John

Harris Creek Central

Active User
Registered
Your tool holder looks great:

Taken from your posting QUOTE"

Check it out and make one. You'll be pleased for sure...

Here are the plans: drawing.pdf

And here are some pictures:

End QUOTE"

Your drawing and pictures show only the tool holder. Did you also make the main tool post? Do you have pictures and drawings of the main post / body.. Or does someone else out there have drawings and pictures of one they have built.

Thanks.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
looks phenomenal both in operation as well as design!!!
:man:
mike:))

HarryG

Active User
Registered
I was wondering whether the hype over the Diamond toolholder was justified. After reading writeup on gadgetbuilder.com about such a toolholder, I decided to make one. The first prototype take was closely based on the design given at gadgetbuilder and made from aluminum...

John

Are you also using gadgetbuilder's method for grinding the toolbit? NEVER MIND...... looked at your drawing again and answered my own question!

Last edited:
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock