Lathe/ Milling Machine combo opinions.

GummyMonster

Registered
Registered
Good day,

I'm getting into home machining as a way to self teach myself. I'm hoping to start a home based gunsmithing and small machining shop, as I'm partially handicapped and working for others isn't feasible.

I came across this machine on Alibaba, and I'm looking for opinions. I've already reached out to the manufacturer about setting it up to make imperial threads.

Here's the specs -

H0f0fff440ddd42c387b3d6d85dc49cc3m.png

I don't think I can post a link as I'm a brand new member.
I'm also wondering what you guys (and gals) think about these combo units in general? Like I said, this machine is to teach myself and my wife about machining. The things we make on it won't need 0.00001 precision, as long as it can make decent practice projects.

All thoughts, opinions and comments are welcome. If this isn't a good way to go, I have a very decent looking lathe picked out to start.
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• FDB17952-49B4-4A80-B767-1BDAE0968797.png
    FDB17952-49B4-4A80-B767-1BDAE0968797.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
Setting up takes time. Some operations require you swap back and forth between the two types of machines. Having to disassemble a mill setup to use your lathe and then set it up again for the mill can get frustrating.

As a small lathe it seems relatively OK. As a mill it has a lot of draw backs, for me. That said, draw up what you want to accomplish on it and see if it will fit. You will end up needing to block a lot of work up so you can get within the 3" travel range of the mill and still be able to drill, or bore. Again, for me, having to teardown setups to change between turning and milling would be undesirable. But I'm always wanting to get on with the project. If you tool this machine up, how much of that will transfer to a separate set of machines? For many of us the tooling will cost as much as the machines. If this is Chinese you might want to consider it as a kit. Is there a user's group for it?

Any one I have seen, is they are just used as a lathe (okay as a pretty modest lathe). Go for that actual lathe. A lathe is super useful, you will learn a ton. There are plenty of classic milling tasks that can be accomplished on a lathe, just easier on a mill. There are plenty of lathe only shops, with typical bench and small power tools - you can do a lot. I have quite a few machines now (if you come down to Calgary/Edm area, you are welcome to stop by), but for the first 30 years of machining the only machine I had was a lathe, and I did lots of good stuff.

Obviously, if you know exactly what you are needing to machine, then that will dictate what machine you buy. However, if just doing general stuff, then I suggest getting a decent lathe - that will keep you busy on learning for a good while. The mill can come later, by then you'll have a better idea of what to buy. Also, something may come up, around here, there seem to be more mills around. David

I've thought about the combi units. I would think that the ones with the mill head in the middle and perpendicular to the bed would be more versatile. Where the mill head in on that one, you will have to remove the lathe chuck all the time. The y and x and the z axis are going to be very limited on the one pictured. I opted for a wore out sb 9b and rf31 clone. Paid $600 for the mill and $500 for the lathe. Spent another $500 on the lathe for a different apron with good half nuts and gears, plus change gears.
cdcae4a9d75158ee3fe56cdb058a8d4d.jpg
99809a048e6a66cbf052002fd654b7f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You would be far, far better off with two separate machines. Yes, there are fans of the combo machines but they are decidedly in the minority.
The type with the mill head mounted in the center of the bed is much preferable to the head mount, but still not ideal. The work envelope tends to be very small and the rigidity poor. Don't waste your time and money, is my advice. Get a good lathe first, and keep looking for a small bench mill or better yet, a small knee mill. You may even find a small horizontal knee mill that has had a vertical mill head added which is what I have. Very satisfactory, for me.
-Mark
ps get a lathe with either backgears or a slower minimum speed than 160 rpm, if you plan to do much threadcutting

Last edited:
I don't have one of these 3 in 1 machines, but it is common to get questions about them. They seem like a great idea on paper but I've talked to one person who had one and he said it was a pain to swap between lathe and mill so he left it set up as a mill and just bought another lathe to use as a lathe.

Used they can be a bargain, because they don't hold their value well. I frequently see them selling for the same or less than a similar sized lathe.

New I have some problems with them as they really don't save a lot of space or money. Most have a relatively small mill on them, and the lathe is often a smaller machine than the stated swing which is done by raising the spindle. Ok for getting the size, but it will be less rigid than a more conventional lathe of the same size. I'm not familiar with that specific machine but I've looked at others and you can often get a stand alone lathe and mill for the same price or less. If space is very tight, they have some value, but again you are not talking about a big mill, so probably only saving 2-3 feet of floor space.

Agree with Neil the designs like many of the small European lathe / mills (Emco, Proxxon etc) use where the mill is detachable and installed on the backside of the lathe near the center of the bed seems like a more practical set up as it creates less of a compromise on the lathe.

This is a small Grizzly 8x16 with a milling attachment that shows the other mounting location for the mill.

1613350439177.png

Grizzly G0769

Using this Grizzly as an example the 3 in 1 is $2200. You can get basically the same 8x16" lathe like a G0768 for $1350 and a little larger more capable 4x18" mini-mill like the G0781 for $950, or a total of $2300. So two equal or better stand alone machines for $100 more.

I realize this is a smaller machine than what you are looking at, just using it as an example. You will find the same thing when comparing any of the 3 in 1 machines with comparable stand alone machines. You can almost always get a similar sized lathe and a better mill for around the same price.

Thanks everyone. I had some reservations about this type of unit, from other comments I've read elsewhere.
I actually never thought of having to remove parts then reassemble them for different tasks.
I will definitely be getting just a lathe.
This is the one I've decided on -

It's a Chinese machine, but I've watched and read almost every Asian lathe buying guide I've found, and this companies products seem decent.
It has both the speed and axis DRO's, which I really want.
I think it'll get me started, and once I get my full size Precision Mathews machines it can be relegated to smaller, less precise work we get. My wife wants to be part of this business idea, so having 2 lathes and a milling machine may come in handy multiple jobs were to come in at the same time.
Any comments about this lathe are welcomed. It's in my price range and it's available fairly quickly, unlike most brands with this "Pandemic " continuing.
Ken

Attachments

• 8D8AE6F8-BE1A-410C-937A-AEB7FBE64DA2.png
    8D8AE6F8-BE1A-410C-937A-AEB7FBE64DA2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • C98D8974-B7DE-401B-9BB6-C5FA205043EE.png
    C98D8974-B7DE-401B-9BB6-C5FA205043EE.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
If you are planning on gunsmithing bore size will be very important. Not being a gunsmith, I was still asked to make an attachment for a .223 barrel, fortunately he grew impatient and I was learning a lot about aligning my Enco lathe and only a couple of things about guns.
Have a good day
Ray
P S I like your choice simply because the leadscrew may be available in 0.001".

Last edited:
The larger spindle bore is one of the features that this lathe has.
It's 1 1/2" bore, and the majority of rifle barrels, even unturned blanks are 1 1/4" or less.
The largest I've found is 1.45", and that diameter is really rare.
Thanks,
Ken

Back