Lathe/ Milling Machine combo opinions.

Thanks everyone. I had some reservations about this type of unit, from other comments I've read elsewhere.
I actually never thought of having to remove parts then reassemble them for different tasks.
I will definitely be getting just a lathe.
This is the one I've decided on -

It's a Chinese machine, but I've watched and read almost every Asian lathe buying guide I've found, and this companies products seem decent.
It has both the speed and axis DRO's, which I really want.
I think it'll get me started, and once I get my full size Precision Mathews machines it can be relegated to smaller, less precise work we get. My wife wants to be part of this business idea, so having 2 lathes and a milling machine may come in handy multiple jobs were to come in at the same time.
Any comments about this lathe are welcomed. It's in my price range and it's available fairly quickly, unlike most brands with this "Pandemic " continuing.
Ken

Again, not familiar with that exact machine but it looks like the standard 8x16 but with a larger spindle bore. As a machine to learn on that should be adequate.

While not all agree I do believe it is easier to make small parts on a smaller machine, so your idea of getting this to learn with, and then keeping it as a secondary lathe when you get a full size machine is a reasonable plan. In my opinion the problem with small lathes are 90% a problem with buyers having unrealistic expectations for the machine. It sounds like you understand an 8" lathe can't do 13" lathe work.

I've researched this for literally hours, and I have a decent understanding about the realistic capabilities of this size of machine.
I have a couple ideas to try to expand its capabilities a bit.
I'd like to try some rifle barrel work , so I'm going to work on a stabilizing setup to hold longer barrels. A spindle bore spider, as well as a very precise support for about 14" to 16" out from the machine.
Because other than the length, a rifle barrel is only around 1" + or - diameter, so not a large work piece.
I'm sure I'll try working on larger projects as time passes and my skills improve.
Thanks for the input.
Ken

I know a lot of members look down their noses at 3 in 1s
But if you are just starting out and really don't know what you want or need or if you will even stay with it, it could be a very good decision.
Your 3 in 1 can be used to make a lot of things... When I can, I plan on getting a "real" lathe and "real" mill, but I'll keep my 3 in 1.
Good Luck in everything you do! Dave

Here are just a few examples of what can be done on a 3 in 1
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-first-clock-the-silver-lady.51902/

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/im-making-a-halo.28708/

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/walking-beam-steam-engine.20776/

I think you will be much happier with this machine than the 3 in 1. The "vertical slide travel" is listed as 276mm (10.8".) What we would call carriage travel? That will be the greatest length of work that you can do in one setup. Does it come with a steady or follow rest? Does the chuck have a bore to match the spindle?

Last edited:
I'm definitely going with a lathe to start.
As for your questions about the lathe, I really can't say.
I'll message them again. The language barrier is really bad, not sure why with all the translation apps.
I'm getting a 4 jaw chuck, and there are many other suppliers of tooling and equipment that have a huge amount of products.
If this chuck has a smaller bore, I can order a larger one. I don't see either rests in the photos, so I'll look at getting those as well.
Thanks for giving me more to look into.
Ken

Spend whatever time you need to buy the machine that will do what you want.

I had a 3 in 1 and it wasn't worth the metal it was made from. While I don't doubt some folks do good work with them it's like learning to play guitar on a really bad pawn shop axe, you'll never know if your problem is the machine or you.

While you don't need the best you will be wise to avoid no name units straight from China, the money you save may just lead to aggravation. There has been more than one new member here who bought what they thought was a good deal only to find out they got a collection of reject parts put together into something that kinda looks like a lathe.

If you're wanting to do gunsmithing it will definitely pay to start out with something that's up to the task even if you have to wait a little longer to get it. This generally means 12x36 minimum. I'm not a gunsmith, and I'm sure people do it with less, but that's what consensus seems to think is right to start with.

I see you're pretty much a long way from anywhere so ordering something from overseas might make sense, just realize that if you're unhappy with it your options are limited. At least if you order through eBay you have some hope of getting satisfaction if the deal goes sideways. But, it might be worth posting a "wanted" ad in the local Craigslist of FB Marketplace. A surprising number of people have old machines kicking around the garage that they might part with if asked.

I just mention this because so many of the "deals" you see online don't come with the stuff you'll need and once you add all those pieces you might be getting close to buying from a reputable supplier. I currently own a Bolton 13x40 lathe and I can testify to the poor quality and lack of support that comes with low end Chinese lathes, I got mine in a trade but honestly I sometimes wish I had held out for a better machine.

JMHO,

John

I'm definitely going with a lathe to start.

Ken
Ken:

Sounds like you have made a decision. Congratulations. Look forward to watching you make chips.

But....... If for some reason you go back to condidering a 3-in-1, I am one in the minority who would support that decision. I've had my machine for a long time, and have since acquired separate machines. But have kept the 3-in-1. It has an excellent lathe and a limited, but adequate mill. I still use it frequently.

What sold me on the Smithy Granite 1324 was the guy in this 20 YO Smithy video. He did several videos demonstrating the Granite - and they are well done - sold me anyway. He shows some details of both milling and lathe operations.

Bill

Are you buying this 38mm bore WM210V direct from China via Aliexpress or Alibaba? I do not see it available locally. What are they charging for shipping and what is the ETA?
Best price I found on aliexpress was ~$624 + $509 (USD) shipping to Canada

This one is from AliExpress. It's considerably more, $1160 + $645 shipping.
But it has a 850 watt motor, speed and axis DRO's, a 1.5" bore. It comes with a 4 jaw chuck as well . The basic shipping gets it here the first wee of June. If I pay $115 more shipping, it's guaranteed to be here in less than 3 weeks.
Any lathe I've found in The USA are between $1300 & $1600 usd. They don't come with DRO's, have a 0.75" bore, and 500 - 600 watt motors.
I've bought numerous items from AliExpress, some higher priced items, and as long as I bought from sellers with good ratings and did lots of comparisons I've had no problems with quality or delivery times.
And it seems most outfits in North America are out of stock as well.
Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I'm fairly confident about purchasing this one.
Ken

Back