[How-To] Lathe only beginner engine?

1 cylinder 2 stroke or steam engine design would be the simplest.

what is called a square bore/stroke is pretty much the normal . Thats where the stroke and diameter of the piston is the same size.
example is 2 inch stroke with a 2 in diameter piston.

1 cylinder 2 stroke or steam engine design would be the simplest.

what is called a square bore/stroke is pretty much the normal . Thats where the stroke and diameter of the piston is the same size.
example is 2 inch stroke with a 2 in diameter piston.
Thank you, more research ensues!

David, almost all of the small PM and Stuart engines can be built lathe only. I have the book building a steam engine from castings. It shows the 10V built with a lathe and drill press or hand drill. That particular engine is very small and has been built by so many people that there are a ton of videos. It has a 3" diameter flywheel, so anything bigger then 4 x 12 lathe will work. You have to have a 4 jaw chuck. A milling attachment for the cross slide would greatly help. Google engine plans and free engine plans. I have seen plans for steam engines with a 5/8" bore and up. Most of the wobblers can be made on the lathe with your swing dimension the limiting factor.

Just thoughts most Lickley off the subject
Farmer in Oregon hook a Fair Bank Morrison hit and miss engine with his plow.
He brought engine in to be restored, The cylinder head was in like 30 pieces .
Which was my job the glue all these pieces back together,

I pulled 1886 Webster inverted engine out the river.
to repair these engines your pretty much going have fix everything.
unless you know engines , I would try fixing a old engine then making new one.
You will learn allot by repairing a engine, which help you design a engine
Knowing allot how certain engines work is like forethought on how make one.
Like every inline 6 cylinder engine in the world with right rotation has same firing order 153624 same a v 12 each bank has the same firing order as a inline 6 , 153624.........................
Allot to know ,, I think a flat head would easier to make

1680619923313.png

Back