Lathe Spindle Indexing

Just curious why you didn't drill the original backing plate? I like the design, thanks for posting all the pics.

Just curious why you didn't drill the original backing plate? I like the design, thanks for posting all the pics.

NevadaBlue

I choose the chuck adapter to do all the drilling for a few reasons. The lathe is a L-1 spindle mount, and those back plates are a fair bit of money to replace if things went wrong. The Chuck adapter is nothing more than a slice of steele that can be replaced, reproduced very easy. The Original is a cast iron piece, and didnt want to risk weakening it ethier.

I have have several chucks that adapt to that same L-1 spindle mounted plate, rangeing from 5 in to 12 inch, and that part I perferred to keep it in original condition. The adapter plates allso allow me to use these chucks on my 12 inch, 6-slot rotary table. The one you see pictured is a 8 inch adapter, with 60 holes. Im currently working on a 10 inch adaper with 72 holes.

Beautiful work all around. What a nice design. Where did you get that little black retractable spring plunger that you use as the indexing pin? I can't find anything like that after way too much google searching.

really nice work and a good idea. I have seen them added to the rear but this was simple and easy to operate.
steve

Steve

I have both the chuck mounted as shown, and also the LH end of the spindle aswell. I think if you google up spindle indexer, there is a few places that sell a kit of sorts. Could save some work.

Also, for those with a interest in this, if you search up McRuff, a member here, he has posted his spindle indexer some time back, and if I remember right, he even made his own index plates.

Very handy bit of tooling to add to any lathe. Also along with these, the toolpost driller is a great addition too.

A quick google search found this.
http://www.cartertools.com/cipk.html

Back