Lathe Startup Noise

Does it manifest more on the lower gears? My 1440GT still has this issue - the lower the gear, the more you hear it. I'm about to replace the motor to Marathon E470, exactly like @jbolt did. I hope that it will fix this issue. I'll also try to set the F002 to 7 sec - thanks for the pointer!

In the past the longer acceleration caused more gear noise and jitter with the 1440GT, one reason why I migrated down to 3 second acceleration times on the 1440GT. Also doing autotune, and a few other VFD tweaks depending on the VFD. Tweaks for the Yaskawa VFDs are different then the Hitachi WJ200. I run a Yaskawa V1000 on my ERL-1340 and the VFD parameters were quite a bit different to get a predictable acceleration and deceleration. The mass of the gear train and is also higher, so each machine is different. The other programming change to adjust is the acceleration curve from S curve to linear.
Mark

Does it manifest more on the lower gears? My 1440GT still has this issue - the lower the gear, the more you hear it. I'm about to replace the motor to Marathon E470, exactly like @jbolt did. I hope that it will fix this issue. I'll also try to set the F002 to 7 sec - thanks for the pointer!
Azonin,

It was more prevalent in the lower range for sure. It was heard through all gears when set below 5 second acceleration. At 5 it was only heard in 80-400 rpm, I went up to 8 seconds and It was only heard at 80 rpm and it ultimately faulted due to over-current. So I took it back down to 7 seconds it still made a slight rattle but it was bearable. If I need to get that low I'll do it through the VFD. I'll likely only use 3 gear postions on the machine anyway.

Last edited:
You say the lower rpms is where its noticeable. By any chance is it one lever in a certain position that causes the issue.
On my Eisen 1440 ge which comes from the same factory my b lever in the abcd section has a certain sweet spot where it is smooth and silent. If I rush this one lever it produces a noise. Baffled me at first. Once I realized what it was I did a fluid change and checked the gears and shift forks and came to realize this one levers position is a tight fit and should not be rushed. The shift forks and gears had no marks on them at all.
I beleive the pm 1440 gt and my eisen 1440 ge share some parts and likely the gear train. My rpms go from 50-2000. What are the rpms for the pm?
Mksj is the one who has the proper knowledge and understanding of vfd s and alot more. Take what I have said with a grain of salt.. His words and thoughts are what I would go by. A very valuable member to this forum.
I am ever so greatful for mksj!

Back