lathe tool for trepanning or face cutting/grooving

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all, is there a such critter as a insert tool holder for facing cutting/grooving/chamfer i.d.'s.

I've cut a myriad O ring groves in the face of pieces of work, used a dogbone type insert. They have clearance on both sides. I can't remember how small a circle I did, but I'd guess nothing smaller than 6".

Iscar has several to offer. Be prepared to pay out the gausuzz for them.

Kaiser ThinBit and Manchester/Widia are the tools that I use the most for face grooving.
Kaiser makes inserts for dovetail O-Ring grooves as well, the face grooving tools are modular and require different anvils and clamps within a diameter range, these tools will be a bit pricey for hobbyists I suspect but perform as described. The small dovetail O-Ring tools are extremely fragile so be careful. http://www.thinbit.com/

I dropped a .083" face groove tool and broke the anvil right off several weeks ago, it was this tool.
http://www.thinbit.com/products/face_grooving/dg_ext_fgrooving.html

I highly recommend them for such work

Kaiser ThinBit ....

I've been picking up used Kaiser Thinbit holders and bits recently on fleabay. If you pay attention, you can get them a fair prices. Sometimes I'll contact the seller and make offers on fixed price items and they often accept. I've been buying smaller shank holders and HSS bits, maybe they have a hard time getting rid of them.

so what does one use, if they don't have the insert type? I'm not too concerned with making an actual groove, but rather opening
up the face while leaving a lip on the outer side of the diameter, but cutting the center out some and also to chamfer the i.d. of bores. I got a pretty good pile of tooling, but none of them do this

Grind you own flavor of tool for the operation at hand, I find this fussy and time consuming.
If you only make a handful of parts at a time and have no time constraints then have at it. I ground and used a HSS lathe tool this past Friday for the first time in more then 15 years, the material turned was polypropylene which is annoying at best.

so what does one use, if they don't have the insert type? I'm not too concerned with making an actual groove, but rather opening
up the face while leaving a lip on the outer side of the diameter, but cutting the center out some and also to chamfer the i.d. of bores. I got a pretty good pile of tooling, but none of them do this

Mutt, a HSS knife tool will do this sort of thing easily. Simple to grind, simple to use, works good for exactly what you are describing.

Reactions: TTD
Great idea, Mikey.....I never thought of doing it that way!

Yup, works good. You can plunge with the point and face out to create a rim, and you can angle the inside edge of the rim to whatever angle you need by turning the tool post. It chamfers the inside edges of bores nicely and can even do limited boring if the center hole is big enough to allow the tool to enter; think counterbores.

For that matter, a square tool will do the same thing. Handy things, turning tools.

Reactions: TTD
Back