lathe tool for trepanning or face cutting/grooving

Knife tool?
Any picture of this tool?
Can't find any on google images.

Remember our model tools thread? It was one of the tools in the set.

Reactions: Z2V
Okay yes. A straight side cutting edge angle, correct?

Mutt, a HSS knife tool will do this sort of thing easily. Simple to grind, simple to use, works good for exactly what you are describing

So do ya got a picture of one of these? A knife blade to me is like a parting tool. Seems like the bottom 90% of the blade would be right in the way. Even with a small square bit, the bottom of the square would get right in the way.

Remember our model tools thread? It was one of the tools in the set.

I didn't see this article, do you have a link to it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I found the page with the knife tool on it. I'll look thru the little pile of HHS tool bits I have and see if any are similar to this. If not, maybe I can send a piece of this stuff to someone and pay them to grind it for me? I don't have anything to grind tools like Mikey has (yet) but I plan to.

Thanks for the link. I found the page with the knife tool on it. I'll look thru the little pile of HHS tool bits I have and see if any are similar to this. If not, maybe I can send a piece of this stuff to someone and pay them to grind it for me? I don't have anything to grind tools like Mikey has (yet) but I plan to.
Sure, the fancy grinders are nice but all you really need is a basic bench grinder. I highly recommend learning to grind HSS tools, it will open up a new dimension of possibilities and it's really not hard to do.

So do ya got a picture of one of these? A knife blade to me is like a parting tool. Seems like the bottom 90% of the blade would be right in the way. Even with a small square bit, the bottom of the square would get right in the way.

Sorry, I should have put a link or pic up - my fault.

What you need to do is a simple facing operation except you're leaving a rim. Any tool that can face can do this job and since the primary function of a knife tool is facing, it works well for this sort of thing provided the hole is not too deep. If it is, then a boring bar is the right tool for the job. The knife tool has enough relief angle up front to clear most shallow bores and should not rub. I've done this sort of thing numerous times so I know it works.

What kind of lathe are you working with? What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish? Do you own a grinder of some sort? Happy to help but we sort of need to know what we're dealing with.

I have a Grizzly 4003 I bought new 18 years ago. I Need to make some round gasket punches for punching out fiber washers. I would rather have a one piece punch than a 2 piece.

Back