[4]

Lathe tools

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

vimes1984

Registered
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased and my brand new to me mini lathe has arrived, it has come with a selection of tools, of which I know nothing.
I've tried reading up a little about it but I'm still lost regarding which tool is used for what.
I'm attaching an image with all of the tools laid out separated by left and right with a few in the middle I'm not sure about...

Could someone tell me which tool is for what?
IMG_20181008_145849.jpg

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Capture mini lathe tool set.JPG

vimes1984

Registered
thanks that did help I ended up figureing out some where marked and googling it :D

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Just my 2 cents. You may want to learn how to grind quality HSS.
My experience with those type of lathe tools made me look like I had no idea what I was doing. Once I began to understand and practice grinding my own HSS tooling, I have had much better results in finish quality.
IMHO of course.

vimes1984

Registered
@Janderso I already have my mind on learning that BUT one step at a time :D I litterally just turned my first lathe on less than 48 hr's ago :D

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Since you'll need them for HSS anyway, you might try getting a couple diamond hones and use them to sharpen up those brazed carbide tools a bit. Sharper is better for little machines.

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Download a free copy of South Bend "How to run a lathe". It's geared for older, belt driven lathes, but the basic information in it remains the same regardless of the vintage of machine.

Ted

Jimsehr

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Lots of guys buy sets of carbide tools like you have and try to use them right out of the box. When they don’t work worth a darn they blame the tools or carbide. But to get them to work right you need to sharpen them. So you need a grinder with a green grinding wheel to sharpen carbide. And the tools should be set right on centerline.
A diamond hone will help keep them sharp after they have been sharpened.
Try to find a machinist hobby group close to home and see if you can get someone
To help you grind your first few tools.

Shootymacshootface

Registered
Just my 2 cents. You may want to learn how to grind quality HSS.
My experience with those type of lathe tools made me look like I had no idea what I was doing. Once I began to understand and practice grinding my own HSS tooling, I have had much better results in finish quality.
IMHO of course.
This has been my experience as well. My problems all but dissapered when I started using hss cutting tools.

mikey

Active User
I agree with the HSS tool recommendation but those brazed tools will work until you can gear up for tool grinding. Listen to @ttabbal and the others and sharpen the carbide part with a diamond hone. We cannot see the brazed insert but it should have a relief angle on the sides. That is, the side of the insert will not be vertical; it will have a slight angle to it such that the cutting edge is proud of the area right below it. Maintain that angle when you hone and try to smooth out the side of the insert, then flatten the top. Finally, put a very tiny radius at the nose, following the angle of the insert under the cutting edge. Done this way, a brazed tool will actually cut pretty well.

As @Jimsehr says, a green wheel will allow you to grind it better but you have to know how to do that. Until you do, honing will work pretty good.

Learn about cutting speeds and how to calculate it. You need enough speed for these tools to cut well. Unlike inserted carbide, a sharp brazed tool will take a light cut without issues so your little lathe should work okay with them.

NortonDommi

Registered
Hello vimes1984 I would follow the advice of ttabbal and give the tools a lick with a Diamond file. You can't go wrong with an investment in some Diamond files as they come in handy for all sorts of things.
Open Source Machine https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC79QdJW2rayvCzqNq-SAM-g Have a number of old,(and some new), training videos that you may be interested in.
Best thing read a bit,(The Amateurs Lathe by L.H.Sparey is sort of a Bible for some), watch some videos, play and get a feel for your machine. I have to warn you now though that everybody starts to tutu with their stuff after a while and fettling can become addictive.
Most of all just have fun.

mikey

Active User
Best thing read a bit,(The Amateurs Lathe by L.H.Sparey is sort of a Bible for some), watch some videos, play and get a feel for your machine.
I agree, great book!

I have to warn you now though that everybody starts to tutu with their stuff after a while and fettling can become addictive.
Tutu?

NortonDommi

Registered
Hi Mikey,
Tutu is a Maori slang word for fiddle with, muck around with. "Don't mess with my tutu" was also the title of a great politically incorrect local comedy program and a song. Say "Stop your tutu" to a Kiwi kid and they'll freeze. : )

mikey

Active User
Got it, thanks! Learned a new thing today. Tutu in Hawaiian means Grandmother, and we did not mess around with her!

NortonDommi

Registered
COPY THAT! I've just learned something new too and that is always good.

Funny how Maori say that their ancestral homeland is 'Hawaiki '. Getting off subject.

vimes1984

Registered
I completely missed the last couple of posts to this thread I've been bust futzing around with the new toy :D

[6]
[5] [7]