Lathe Turret Tool Posts vs. QCTP

I concur with the QCTP. It will save you lots of grief in setting tool height. I thought I would be happy with the "set". But I soon was regularly using Left and right insert tooling, threading tool, chamfer, HSS radius, boring bar and sometimes a smaller tool optimized for surface finish on my sower lathe on aluminum. That doesn't include the parting tool which alone is worth the change to QCTP - easier to align for chatter-free parting.

Thanks ....actually I am pursuing a Multifix setup, although this information is still relevant. That Multifix toolpost that I highlighted in my previous post was to good to pass up ...it was the last one for that price, so I bought it. For $65 for this type of tool post just seemed too good to be true ...and it may be. If I don't like it ...it goes back under the Amazon policy. They now have it priced for over $350! I should have it by Weds.

Now I have to decide on holders and get those. And the holders for the Multifix start at 5/8 and go up the 3/4 ...actually that is 16MM and 20MM. Smaller is actually not an option for the Multifix size A for my lathe. Holders from Create tool are about $35 each not including shipping. I want to get a quote from them plus shipping. Then once I see the toolpost and feel confident that it is not junk I will compete the order for the tool holders.
I have a lot of 3/8's tooling and some larger up to 3/4" and even some boring bars larger than that. I want to have an inverted parting tool and run the lathe in reverse for parting. So looking at Tcarr's answer ....maybe 8 holders of different varieties for the different needs?

It is fairly quick to change tools in and out of the holders for a QCTP. 2 or 3 hold down screws, then quickly set the tool height, it can be done in a couple minutes after some practice. Just have enough holders for the go to tools you use all the time, and a few extras for the job at hand. I have 13 holders for my QCTP, and it is really overkill for a home shop that does not try to make flat rate. Things take as long as they take...

Thanks guys. Yet another question ...what do you think is the right number of holders for a hobby machinist ....meaning they all get used and maybe once in a while you are thinking you might just one more. I have seen guys say they have 30 tool holders. I am also a guitar player ...and well I have more guitars then I ever play! Trying not to go that same way here with this new adventure.
One for every tool you have. I have a DTM QCTP on the Rockwell lathe and a Dorian on the Jet. I am still fitting the Dorian with a new Tnut to the lathe. I have 10 tool holders so far, I will probably get 10 more as I add different tools, expecially for threading and boring. Tim

One for every tool you have. I have a DTM QCTP on the Rockwell lathe and a Dorian on the Jet. I am still fitting the Dorian with a new Tnut to the lathe. I have 10 tool holders so far, I will probably get 10 more as I add different tools, expecially for threading and boring. Tim

That's probably a bit overkill to start out. While I agree you can never have enough tool holders I started out with just 4. For the stuff I make regularly I can get away with outside turning / facing tool, boring bar, parting tool and a form tool. If I'm doing a job that requires different tools I just switch out the tools for the job.

After a while I bought a couple more for a larger parting tool and a 45 degree cutting tool for doing external chamfers. I've now just ordered an additional 5 for threading tools and a larger boring bar. I guess the point I am trying to make is that, if your budget is limited just buy a hand full now and invest in other tooling. Then when the time comes buy a few more here and a few more there - or even make your own if time and tooling permits. I'd imagine that most people with 15+ tool holders built them up over a number of years.

Thanks again ....just the kind of information I am looking for.

And each time I order something from the place I get the holders from, I just add a couple to the order.

Thanks again ....just the kind of information I am looking for.
Also knurling tools and Ball makers can be attached to tool holder. If using insert tooling different inserts(like for al or stainless or carbon steel) can be changed with a single screw. A qctp is very versatile.

And each time I order something from the place I get the holders from, I just add a couple to the order.
I'll just add a couple of......, and maybe one of......"I forget, what was that minimum order amount for free shipping?":grin: And the infection takes hold:eek 2:

OK guys, I have to be an outlier here.

First I have QCTP, 4-way and Armstrong (rocker) tool posts for my lathe. I use them all, but for different purposes.

The most used toolpost on my lathe is the 4 way, and this is why:

First I NEVER shim a tool in the toolpost. All the tools for it are carbide insert types. Each is milled and/or ground to exactly .606 in height which always centers my tool. I have all the insert holders, so they can be installed in no time at all. (right cut, left cut, parting, boring)

I also have qctp tools in duplicate, as in cutting in brass or aluminum, it is slightly better to adjust the height +/- to reduce chatter. I do more of my parting on my QCTP than ever before, but everything chatters on my smaller lathe. I hope the new one is more rigid.

For cutting wood, nothing is better than an Armstrong with a HSS cutter it it. For tricky cutting around corners and trepanning, I also use the Armstrong.

Back