Lathe wiring gone wrong?

Is there any way to tell without pulling the plate off the motor? There is no way I can get to it without pulling the entire motor out.

Can I tell by taking the low high switch out?

Update: I pulled the switch out and connect the VFD to wires mark U2, V2, and W2 and the motor turned, but at full power it was turning maybe 40-60 rpm.

Last edited:
You need to check the run setting frequency of the VFD, it should show in the display, it should be 60Hz. It is possible that you have it set low. There is a speed knob on the VFD, make sure it is fully clockwise direction and the display should show 60Hz. As a side note the contactor overload seem to be set to the maximum, they should be set to the load limits of the motors if you were to use them.

My stupidity strikes again. I got so caught up in the electric part, I didn’t check the gearbox. If you don’t have it in the lowest speed, it runs much faster.

My stupidity strikes again. I got so caught up in the electric part, I didn’t check the gearbox. If you don’t have it in the lowest speed, it runs much faster.
Umm, let's call it a learning experience. We have all experienced stuff like this...

I've got everything except for the coolant pump wired up and working. For some reason, I was having a terrible time figuring it out until I understood the fact that the VFD could replace all the terrible switch wiring in the back. Once I got that, it all went together rather easily.

You might look into a 5Hp Phase Perfect as a alternative to an RPC and would be a direct 3 phase power source for your machines, otherwise with the VFD you pretty much eliminate the stock control board in the lathe and it is also possible that you damaged the VFD you have whne operting it as you have.
Great Idea on using the( Phase Perfect Device) It seems to be very efficient.It takes a long time to get modern.Where I live I can't believe the large amount of solar panels on people's homes .

Etc..my two ... cents...

Back