Lathe with the headstock on the right?

I learned and ran a 4" Lucas boring mill for years and later we picked up another boring mill but the controls were on the other side. Come to find out the Lucas was built reversed from the normal, I could not run the other mill for crap. Loved that Lucas!

Interesting, wounder if it runs backwards, threaded spindle , don’t think it’s stock.
540B8245-9096-4154-B51B-A537B1C52963.jpeg

That’s one way to get it noticed, mirrored image

I learned and ran a 4" Lucas boring mill for years and later we picked up another boring mill but the controls were on the other side. Come to find out the Lucas was built reversed from the normal, I could not run the other mill for crap. Loved that Lucas!
The shop that I apprenticed in had a Lucas 4" bar horizontal boring mill, which was totally whipped, and apprentices mostly got to run and two 5" bar Giddings & Lewis 350T boring mills, which, were the opposite hand; I did not notice any problems in running one or the other, but what was to notice was that the G&Ls were quite a pleasure to run, for one thing they had feed levers that moved in the direction that the feed was to run and could be engaged all at the same time, unlike the Lucas's funky system of feed levers, and my Universal HBM was no better in that respect.

The lettering is being reflected by a mirror, the lettering is on the other wall

Back