LD model LD-1440S

Interesting considering the initial electrical connection was a failure. Here is the phase converter that my electrician installed. It did not work. There was a lot of football to watch Saturday and I didn't want too miss to much, so we'll return again to the problem.

View attachment 387678

This does not power the lathe so my electrician is asking me for advice. Rotary phase converters seem to be the best option. There will be a large mill to power in the very near future.

If you would like to have 3 phase that you can simply plumb directly to the equipment, then a rotary converter or a Phase Perfect would be about it. That, or power each machine with its own VFD. Even if you go with a rotary or a phase perfect, you still need to be mindful that the third phase on either of these is a "manufactured leg" and should not be used on any machine inputs that are picking off single phase to power pumps, rapids, etc....These need to be powered with the two phases that "feed through" the phase converter device.

Finally. My son in law figured it out. I'll make it to the shop later this week.

Attachments

• 750e16a8e23d0892e5ffefa0a12af477296fcbae (1).mp4
    25.9 MB
I now have this lathe in it's tentative location. Thoughts? I have a mill to put in this soon to be cleaned up room as well. Should I have the lathe to the center or right of this wall?

I will paint the sheetrock later, just need to get this lathe usable.
IMG-7995 (1).jpg

IMG-7996 (1).jpg

Thank you. I was thinking that it needed shifting over.

I would locate it so that I had long access to the back end of the spindle for loading long bars if necessary.

I moved it to the other side of the room. Had to do some more sheetrock first.

IMG-8003.jpg

That is much better. Consider putting your mill in a corner. Unless you are hanging long shafts off the end of the table, it takes up less space in the room because the main structure of the mill is back in the corner, and the working area is out in the open space. If placed against a long wall, the mill table is quite a ways out in the room, taking up working space.

That is much better. Consider putting your mill in a corner. Unless you are hanging long shafts off the end of the table, it takes up less space in the room because the main structure of the mill is back in the corner, and the working area is out in the open space. If placed against a long wall, the mill table is quite a ways out in the room, taking up working space.

Mill at an angle in the corner?

Yes. This is common in machine shops with limited space. Pretty much 45 degree angle.

Back