Lead faced hammer

I have a bad habit of derailing threads. I love ideas, puns, and tangential concepts, and I have to admit I feel bad about changing the direction of a personal project thread, and a good post at that- the OP used a novel casting die to produce a really neat hammer head.

As a professional, it is my duty to inform shops about hazards such as lead, asbestos, and everything else on the list. I have seen elevated blood levels across the workforce, and I have seen children's blood lead go through the roof from contamination brought home on dad's clothes. Even had a spouse get mesothelioma (asbestosis) from laundering her husband's work clothes. The government wrote checks for every case. On the job, I am legally required to inform, as well as to recommend and implement effective controls. I have a hard time not saying something, even if it is another man's prerogative to work freely in their own shop. It's a compulsion. My mouth has quite a few uncontrollable compulsions.

I want to apologize to the original poster showing off his creation, it's a neat approach and I made it into a talk about lead.

Instead of injecting my thoughts every time I'm triggered to, maybe I should just put a big Prop 65 warning in my signature block and leave it at that.

No apologies necessary. Lead exposure is an important concern. I appreciate the kind comments about the project.

I also reload a fair amount, and it comes with the territory to an extent. Probably should have my levels checked.

Pontiac, I appreciated your deep knowledge on workplace toxins. Based on your and others comments, I have upped my safety game over the years. I also understand the desire not to highjack a build thread. here are a couple of suggestion for when you see a situation that warrants a comment:
A) Start another thread and link or reference the triggering post within the new thread
B) Start another thread and put a link in the original post to the new thread.
C) Both.
D) Continue with the in-context comments. At least, in any thread I create, I have no concerns.

Instead of injecting my thoughts every time I'm triggered to, maybe I should just put a big Prop 65 warning in my signature block and leave it at that.
I thought about this some right at the time you posted, I guess I kind of knew where it would lead (haha), but my conclusion was that it was okay to say something about stuff like that at any time if all you’re doing is trying to make people aware that this may be dangerous/hazardous/toxic, whatever. Not everybody knows or realizes that those risks may apply to their situation.

It’s not like you harped on it, you just made your experience and knowledge known and that’s okay the way I see it. I have a lot of respect for you and what I’ve seen you do because of that. And as far derailing goes, one car does not make a derailment without all the other cars following it.

-frank

I have a lead hammer. Fairly big one. Used only when truing Harley flywheels. Otherwise it stays in a canvas bag under my workbench.
Used to reload with my younger brother years ago.
Maybe I need my levels checked. But I'm going to die of something. I hope to be shot dead by the husband of a beautiful redhead, but cancer, another motorcycle wreck...it's going to be something.

I call them safety nannies...
I see them on the tractor boards I frequent too.
They advocate roll over protection systems (ROPS), seat belts and eye and hearing protection.
Rarely do they offer advice on how to fix or run a tractor - which is the topic at hand.
I often wonder if they go through life with all these concerns.
I feel a little sorry for them for having so many fears.
But mostly I wonder, do they think the rest of us are so blithe and unaware of life's hazards that we need constant instruction and reminders all the time?
Are we really so less informed than they?
We are predominantly older men here.
How did we live so long without their instruction and warnings and cautionary tales?
Are we truely fortunate to have them with us to save us from ourselves?
Or do their constant warnings become mere noise which is quickly cast aside?
I have several dead blow hammers.
I have one lead hammer.
Guess which one I use on my mill.
Because it is the most effective.
Intellectually I understand that you safety guys have my best interests in mind.
Do you understand I find your compulsive need to warn an annoyance. And a hindrance over all.

Attachments

• 2023-08-20_05_20_47.jpg
    2023-08-20_05_20_47.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023-08-20_05_21_01.jpg
    2023-08-20_05_21_01.jpg
    861.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I agree with Ultradog's post. As I posted earlier, we're all going to die. We forget we have little control over that. Now, don't take that as it's ok to jump out of an airplane with no parachute at 30,000 feet. We do need common sense.
Tomorrow I'm going to true some flywheels for a buddy. So tonight I'll dig "Sweetums" out of it's storage and take a few practice swings.

I call them safety nannies...
I see them on the tractor boards I frequent too.
They advocate roll over protection systems (ROPS), seat belts and eye and hearing protection.
Rarely do they offer advice on how to fix or run a tractor - which is the topic at hand.
I often wonder if they go through life with all these concerns.
I feel a little sorry for them for having so many fears.
But mostly I wonder, do they think the rest of us are so blithe and unaware of life's hazards that we need constant instruction and reminders all the time?
Are we really so less informed than they?
We are predominantly older men here.
How did we live so long without their instruction and warnings and cautionary tales?
Are we truely fortunate to have them with us to save us from ourselves?
Or do their constant warnings become mere noise which is quickly cast aside?
I have several dead blow hammers.
I have one lead hammer.
Guess which one I use on my mill.
Because it is the most effective.
Intellectually I understand that you safety guys have my best interests in mind.
Do you understand I find your compulsive need to warn an annoyance. And a hindrance over all.
Thanks much for your comments above, well thought out and organized. I have an excellent example of such a person, He and I volunteer at a steam powered sawmill, I and a helper run the (3) engines, this other volunteer has been posted to several other jobs, one of which was to help out with the operation of a steam donkey (road engine); this is one of those people who need to be "in charge" or whatever he is assigned to, in the situation that I witnessed, another volunteer was splitting a pile of firewood for fuel, by himself; over comes Mr. "in charge" and tells the man on the splitter to shut it down until he can be checked out in his knowledge of hand signals for the operation of a wood splitter --- which he complied with. Personally, I would have told him to F--- off, which I had done in a couple of other instances. Mr. "in charge" has been run off from another similar venue in our general area, I assume for the same reasons.

Nice hammer. Interesting process...food for thought . Thank you

Back