Lead faced hammer

Thanks much for your comments above, well thought out and organized. I have an excellent example of such a person, He and I volunteer at a steam powered sawmill, I and a helper run the (3) engines, this other volunteer has been posted to several other jobs, one of which was to help out with the operation of a steam donkey (road engine); this is one of those people who need to be "in charge" or whatever he is assigned to, in the situation that I witnessed, another volunteer was splitting a pile of firewood for fuel, by himself; over comes Mr. "in charge" and tells the man on the splitter to shut it down until he can be checked out in his knowledge of hand signals for the operation of a wood splitter --- which he complied with. Personally, I would have told him to F--- off, which I had done in a couple of other instances. Mr. "in charge" has been run off from another similar venue in our general area, I assume for the same reasons.
I would have asked him to teach me the hand signal for "split your own damn wood"

I call them safety nannies...

I have one lead hammer.
Guess which one I use on my mill.
Because it is the most effective.
Intellectually I understand that you safety guys have my best interests in mind.
Do you understand I find your compulsive need to warn an annoyance. And a hindrance over all.
Yes and no, it is easy enough to skip over the reminder if it bugs you. At the same time Pontiac offers up a ton of interesting information in the middle of these very conversations as well as the warnings.

My Grandfather worked in for a wire manufacturer that made all types of special products, one of them was coated in lead. He said the guys on that line would leave work every day covered in greenish soot. They would die and be replaced, the replacements would die and be replaced, the replacements would die...

Lead oxide and, AFAIK, other lead salts are white in color. (There are some salts of complex anions like chromates that are colored.) Some copper salts are green.

Yes and no, it is easy enough to skip over the reminder if it bugs you. At the same time Pontiac offers up a ton of interesting information in the middle of these very conversations as well as the warnings.

My Grandfather worked in for a wire manufacturer that made all types of special products, one of them was coated in lead. He said the guys on that line would leave work every day covered in greenish soot. They would die and be replaced, the replacements would die and be replaced, the replacements would die...
Pray tell,
What year/s was this that your grandfather worked in that plant?
I'll bet it it was Long before 1970 when the Occupational Health and Safety Act was signed into law by President Nixon.
There is NO possible way a manufacturer could operate like that now.
And ...
How is that story relative to the occasional use of a simple lead hammer?

Okay, fine. I'll play along.

Here's mine. It's mine because when I was about six years old, I discovered I could crush the soft calcium carbonate rocks in our yard with a hammer, and it was the best thing ever. One day I found a really great hammer in my dad's drawer and I used it until he came home. It was given to him by his uncle, and now that it was smashed to chit, it was mine.

I pounded it into a useful shape and used it to set parts in the mill for awhile. I haven't used it in the last 20 years, though. Yes, the oxide is everywhere.

I don't actually care what you do, and I tend not to phrase things in a way that makes people think I'm telling them what to do. I hope to make people aware, nothing more. Just don't lick your lead hammer... at least, not without asking its permission first, that would be rude.

PXL_20230820_200442282.jpg

Pray tell,
What year/s was this that your grandfather worked in that plant?
I'll bet it it was Long before 1970 when the Occupational Health and Safety Act was signed into law by President Nixon.
There is NO possible way a manufacturer could operate like that now.
And ...
After WW2 and well before 1970, obviously.
How is that story relative to the occasional use of a simple lead hammer?
Cause lead, thats why!

Back