Learning about 3D printers and looking for input

I should have quantified my statement about Lulzbot by saying that the one I had was a very early edition. Don't even remember what they called it but it literally might have been the first one they brought out.

The flex build plate is worth its weight in gold to me. Pull it off, flex it, and your print comes right off.

I think for my needs one of the Creality machines (Ender 3 or 5) is likely where I'll end up. It's hard for me to justify the cost of a Prusa.

I think for my needs one of the Creality machines (Ender 3 or 5) is likely where I'll end up. It's hard for me to justify the cost of a Prusa.

The way it was explained to me, is kind of like buying the cheapest mini-lathe or buying one of the higher end ones from LMS or Micromark. In the end you will spend about the same to get the same place, but the more expensive one starts off there, and the other gets there over time with more work from the buyer.
The Ender 5 does have a slightly larger build volume.
Prusa has introduced a cheaper "mini" 3D printer to compete with the cheaper end of the market.

The big thing for me is I did not want another machine I would spend more time tinkering with instead of making things, and it sounded like the cheaper machines often lead to much tinkering.

With the Ender, you need to be willing to tinker. The guys in Houston who tune them before shipping them to you will improve things some...

The main drawback of PETG in my book is the inability to glue, solvent weld, or chemical finish it. I'm an ABS guy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I would not buy a 3D printer with a bowden tube. Or a single Z-axis motor. Or a glass bed. I had one of those and it was a nightmare. (Lulzbot)
So that PoS FlashForge with it's glass plate that I have sitting in the basement gathering dust and cobwebs, I shall walk away from it... :grin:
I've been reading through all our posts thinking "I should get that running..." Now I have to wonder what the frustration level would be.
PS: What the devil is a bowden tube? (I am off to search on that but figured I'd ask.) :cool:

*EDIT* I should have scrolled down before replying... :cautious:

Last edited:
The way it was explained to me, is kind of like buying the cheapest mini-lathe or buying one of the higher end ones from LMS or Micromark. In the end you will spend about the same to get the same place, but the more expensive one starts off there, and the other gets there over time with more work from the buyer.
The Ender 5 does have a slightly larger build volume.
Prusa has introduced a cheaper "mini" 3D printer to compete with the cheaper end of the market.

The big thing for me is I did not want another machine I would spend more time tinkering with instead of making things, and it sounded like the cheaper machines often lead to much tinkering.

Thanks Aaron, I’ll have a closer look at the Prusa lineup.

With the Ender, you need to be willing to tinker. The guys in Houston who tune them before shipping them to you will improve things some...

The main drawback of PETG in my book is the inability to glue, solvent weld, or chemical finish it. I'm an ABS guy!

That is a good point. It's chemical resistant nature can be a down side for things that rely on it like solvent welding. ABS can be annoying without an enclosure, but it does have advantages. It also shrinks more than most others.

PLA is easier to print, but also doesn't solvent weld or chemical finish.

I tend to use fasteners for multi part prints when I can, or just use ABS and acetone. Having options is good. I'm not a one size fits all kind of guy. I even have polycarbonate and nylon, but those are even more annoying than ABS.

Interestingly they only check the machines shipped to US destinations.
If I order an Ender from them, it comes from China.

Dang the Prusa Mini is over $700CDN!

Back