Learning the Craftsman 101.07301 lathe.

LX Kid

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I guess it's been about a week since I finished the restoration on my Craftsman 101.07301 and have been playing around with it's idocyncocies. Some things I've found with this small lathe is that you to have make a lot of adaptations and allowances for it's small size. The lathe has to be level and secured to a a solid stand or work bench to help eliminate vibration. "For me" I know all the gibbs have to be very tight and checked daily as the tend to loosen up. A tool height of "on center" doesn't necessarily mean a good cut. Mine, I have found tool height, has to be a few thou below center. "Dang I just looked up and half my long paragraph disappeared!!!!" Now I lost my train of thought and maybe other users can add to these. With my cheap Chinese carbide tool cutters they have to be kept sharp. I use a small diamond file to touch them up. Proper use of the carriage lock is another important part to use properly for a good cut. I'd guess, as I did, that a QTP is the way to go but don't have a lantern post to make any comparison between the two. I guess all in all this means learning to use a lathe in a proper manner and experience of what works and what doesn't work.

Attachments

• 20211108_131748.jpg
    20211108_131748.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: Z2V
brazed carbide tooling is almost useless out of the box.
there usually is no relief ground to any cutting edge, making them instruments of brutality and woe for the uninitiated
with the cutting edged ground to suitable angles for the material to be cut, you'll find you'll have a better experience

if you set the tool height too low, the work will ride up on the tool and add to a deteriorating situation

i'll add this video strictly for informational purposes,
it shows an extremely diminutive and light Unimat SL1000 lathe, easily taking down some 304 stainless with a 1/4" HSS grind of my design

with a properly ground tool, your lathe could perform very well :eagerness:

Last edited:
I find that HSS cutting tools work better on my Atlas. When I first got my lathe I used carbide and still do sometimes, but 90% of the time it's HSS now. I find it very satisfying to grind my own tool bits as you have full control and can make most any kind of tool you need way cheaper than buying carbide tooling.
One thing I noticed on your lathe is the chuck. That's a lot of metal hanging out there. All my chucks are about half of that width. I use a ER32 collet that screws directly on the spindle a lot.

Ditto above- try some home-ground HSS tool bits, they work well on Atlas's
Trivia: Atlas are called "noodles" by the pros because they are so light and wiggly
-M
Carbide tooling seems to be the #1 biggest problem for beginners, from what I have seen

Last edited:
brazed carbide tooling is almost useless out of the box.
there usually is no relief ground to any cutting edge, making them instruments of brutality and woe for the uninitiated
with the cutting edged ground to suitable angles for the material to be cut, you'll find you'll have a better experience
I messed around with the Chinese carbide tooling and your correct that they are "useless." I changed over to carbide inserts, that I just bought, and they really work well and are used on center. The Yellow Chinese cutters are real junk and a waste of money! Thanks

with a properly ground tool, your lathe could perform very well :eagerness:

ne thing I noticed on your lathe is the chuck. That's a lot of metal hanging out there. All my chucks are about half of that width. I use a ER32 collet that screws directly on the spindle a lot.
Yes the backing plate moved it quite a bit out there. It does seem to do well just the same.

Ulma Doctor was right about the low quality of the Chinese carbide cutters. After looking closely at them they don't have any relief under the carbide cutter. I found they rub under the carbide and is why I was having to go .040" under center just to get them to do anything. Don't think I'll be using the "Yellow Devils" anymore. Carbide inserts work much better and am sure that HSS will give good results also.

Attachments

• 20211113_110812.jpg
    20211113_110812.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20211113_110834.jpg
    20211113_110834.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
Ditto, the inexpensive brazed carbide imports have to be ground before use - if you have a suitable grinding wheel. I am completely satisfied with HSS.

Ulma Doctor was right about the low quality of the Chinese carbide cutters. After looking closely at them they don't have any relief under the carbide cutter. I found they rub under the carbide and is why I was having to go .040" under center just to get them to do anything. Don't think I'll be using the "Yellow Devils" anymore. Carbide inserts work much better and am sure that HSS will give good results also.
here is a video of a sharpening sequence i did for brazed carbide

I confess to being a tool junkie but that machine is way beyond my means, needs or necessity. Great video though!

Back