Learning to TIG Weld? Having Trouble Feeding Wire? Check This Out!

So, I ordered one. Worth a look.

Afterwards, I started thinking about a pen shaped feeder that feeds when a button is pushed. Motorized maybe? Tiny little motor, rechargeable? I thought I would call it Tig-pen! I like puns. I did a couple of sketches and figured I should search around before doing much more. So, here's the deal. Tig-pen exists already (of course). Not motorized but looks pretty cool I think. tigpen.com. I'm not affiliated.

Ripping up my sketches now... If I can't call it tig-pen I don't want to do it anymore.

I have one already. It's definitely interesting. I would not way anything motorized personally. There are many subtle movements that are sometimes done on-the-spot that a motorized system would hinder simply because it cannot read the human mind.

I also have one. I managed to get one when they shipped int'l for free.
It definitely helps me as a new tig'er :D

Cool! I ordered one as well. I've been tiggin' for quite a while but I've never been super proficient at feeding wire. I cut my teeth in manufacturing making welds that were usually no more than 2" long, so I never got very good at feeding as I go.

I am good for about 2" of bead then I break my arc to advance the wire. Otherwise I risk contaminating the W. Let me know if you find this helpful.
Robert

Anybody familiar with the Kane Rush's style of Kung-fu/crane style of wire feeding? He's a great welder, got himself a captains seat welder on Diesel Brothers... I met him at Fabtech last year, and it's really his style of feeding wire that got him noticed. Tried it, I think it would take me a decade to be able t pull it off.
KidKane

Anybody familiar with the Kane Rush's style of Kung-fu/crane style of wire feeding? He's a great welder, got himself a captains seat welder on Diesel Brothers... I met him at Fabtech last year, and it's really his style of feeding wire that got him noticed. Tried it, I think it would take me a decade to be able t pull it off.
KidKane
I watched him with Bob Moffat on a Weld.com video. Interesting style for sure that I would have a very hard time mastering!

I guess back on point, I bought a tig pen, maybe 3 years ago (before Blue Demon bought them out and made them socially acceptable to use) It does work, but I can't seem to break old habits. I tend to want to feed it in the normal way so I end up dabbing and moving closer with it. I ordered that CK version, this may be a best overall answer if I'm honest. Most people have a problem keeping the wire steady while feeding. You get that problem solved and the push/feeding action will be much easier. We'll all have to post back here (with video?) when we get them in.

I just ordered one too. I'm only now learning tig, and have only played with arc control. I haven't tried feeding wire.

Back